Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

After years of waiting, I found one...

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Randy Forbes, Aug 9, 2013.

Randy Forbes

I bought a secondhand Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger, mostly complete, a couple years ago, but wasn't able to get it fitted until this past week. I first installed one of these__brand new__on a 2000 ///M Coupe around the begining of 2006, and I promised to get myself one! In the meantime, I fitted an Active Autowerke twinscrew (technically 2nd hand too, though mustn't have ever been installed, as AA had never furnished the software until I did the installation in 2001) that went onto a 1998 ///M Rdstr.

My Eurosport Twinscrew was removed from a '95 ///M3 (OBD1) so there were some parts I needed to source, and some that needed replacement. Oh, and I had to pack up a house and shop (3 fully loaded shipping containers *just* from the shop__we used "pros" for the household items) and move from Ohio to Florida, then set up the shop so I could go back to making a living, before I could afford the luxury of supercharging one of my own cars :cool:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The whole build album is here: http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/TS-prep-work

If you ever get a chance to drive (or be driven in) a car with a twinscrew installed, seize the opportunity; it doesn't feel like a *boosted* car at all, it's more like it's been fitted with an additional engine!

I've fitted centifugal superchargers (Rotrex, Vortech, under various banners) to 2.8 Z3s, S-52 & S-54 ///M Rdstrs & Coupes, an AA STGII turbocharger on a 2000 ///M Coupe and the aforementioned twinscrew installs, and hands down, the TS, in my opinion, provides the greatest driving pleasure.

charlson89

Great looking set up!

Randy Forbes

Thanks! Last week I bought a non-running '95 M3 Coupe that's also fitted with a Eurosport Twinscrew.

Need to find another S-52 engine (one without a hole in the #6 piston...) and then maybe do some laps at Sebring with it...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Terry Sayther

looks great---why did it hole #6? Didn't some of them have an intercooler porosity issue that lead to leakage of water into the intake followed by hydrolocking? probably not common.
    If I had one, I might have to get a clear hood so that I could look at the engine all the time!

Randy Forbes

Ha ha, yes, a clear hood would be wonderful! A lot easier to envision for the E-36 Coupe body than for an ///M Rdstr; if only we could do something like this (picture credit unknown):

[IMG]

I haven't had a chance yet to get the head off, so I can't positively say what happened to #6. The sparkplug was tore up, so something wasn't where it belonged! I used a borescope, and could pass it through the piston enough to see the small end of the rod...

Crankcase was full of (engine) coolant, and radiator/reservoir was quite low. Seller claimed he was idling through a parking lot when "a cylinder" started cutting out. The engine was stopped and towed to an independent shop (who later refused to touch it, being supercharged). A local__SoCal__club member tried to help the owner to figure out what was wrong, and they pulled the coils & plugs, and the #6 plug wasn't damaged then. They could even start the engine and get it running, but with a severe misfire.

My theory, and nothing to prove it, but when the transport truck arrived to pick it up (to bring it to me) the car was on the street__no longer in the independent's garage. The transport guys couldn't get it to start at all (and it was "locked up" when it arrived here). They asked the shop owner to help them get it on the truck, and he laughed at them, refused to help, and left for an early lunch! They called him again at lunch, to say they would wait for him, and he said he wasn't coming back as long as they were there. I think the independent figured he'd have some fun and blew it up in the process. Like I said, nothing I can prove, but pretty bizarre behavior. Prior to the car being picked up, it was parked in front of his shop (in a parking lot) and I asked how much he'd charge (me) to keep it inside until it could be picked up. He said he didn't want to charge for that, and did store it inside. I was going to send him a check for $100.00, just for his trouble, but changed my mind after getting the story from the transport drivers (who by the way, had to call a tow truck to rig up to winch it on their transporter...).

Oh well, it's here now, and I'm looking for an S-52 engine ;)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

... bitchin'...

Randy Forbes

A little update...
    In the meantime, I purchased the '99 M Coupe that I fitted one of the very first ES/TS superchargers to back in January of 2006 (I think Josh McMurray said it was the 3rd installation completed at the time; the reviews were still up on his website last time I checked). This was the very car that made me fall in love with that twinscrew in the first place!

Here's said Coupe, just a few days after I received it; it hadn't been driven of started in about a year, so there were some items that needed immediate attention, but nothing outside the scope of routine maintenance (whew...).

[IMG]

Earlier this year, I pulled the twinscrew back off my '99 Rdstr, shown in the first post of this thread, and installed it on a Coupe that resides in Maine. Proceeds from that job were needed to payoff the Coupe, so no remorse there! And gratitude to the seller for taking my word I would pay her (yes, I bought it from the girl that got it from my former client).

In about two (>2) weeks, I have another Coupe coming up from the south of Florida, and a Eurosport Twinscrew being shipped to me from the Denver area to be mated together__along with suitable reinforcement for the trunkfloor/differential mount, so I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into that project too!

Quick update on the M3: dropped at least one valve__I think the initial backfiring/miss was the result of a bent valve not fully closing__then idiot SoCal shop owner standing on the throttle to move the car did it in. That's my analysis, and explains his sudden shift in behavior; of course, no one is admitting anything...
    I sourced an extremely healthy S-52 out of Baton Rouge, pilfered a few more parts from it for my blue ES/TS Coupe (front Koni c/o struts/springs and StopTech BBK, plus a big swaybar) and then cleaned up the M3 as much as I could, correcting many, many niggling items along the way. In January 2015, I sold it to a near-local 1st-time BMW owner (with above average mechanical ability) and he's been continually developing it since. I sold it for a lowball price, so I sleep well, AND he still feels great about the purchase. Incidentally, he took it to a dyno-day someplace afterwards, and it cranked off about 230 rear-wheel horsepower! I guess the guy I got the engine from turned up the wick a little bit!

I still have the complete ES/TS that I took out of that M3, and I've already treated the manifolds and sundry parts to a full complement of polymer coatings (thermal barriers, thermal dispersants and dry-film lubricants). I still need to send the compressor to Kenne Bell for a "tune-up" and then plan to swap those upgraded pieces with the setup now in the blue car. Not yet sure where the original unit on the blue car will go next, but it'll be quite some time before I'll need to worry about that!
    • Staff

steven s

I still lust after M Coupes. :)

charlson89

Thanks for the update and love the pictures of the garage! Keeping busy at least.

Randy Forbes

Thanks, and that's the "clean" garage I just use for parking; the "dirty" garage where I build/fix things is behind the house. ;)

Randy Forbes

It's like cloning a twin; I'm currently working on another Estoril M Coupe (*just* wrapped up the welding portion of the trunkfloor/differential mount reinforcement) and it too is going to be fitted with a Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger, the same as mine.

I haven't done an ES/TS (re)installation since last March, so I must've been due!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    charlson89 and MGarrison like this.

Randy Forbes

The finished article, after numerous other smaller jobs were accomplished (same car in last post, not to be confused with my own nearly identical EB Coupe.

[IMG]
    charlson89 and Ken.S.330 like this.

charlson89

Just yes, all yes!