Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Happy Holidays!

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Dec 27, 2016.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Hi E39 family. Hope you are having a great holiday season. Just bought some blacked out grill kidneys for my car. Any special tools or tricks that would be helpful?
    Thanks.
    Happy New year!!

MGarrison

I don't have an E39 manual, grill removal might be in the Bentley Manual - google 'how to remove BMW E39 grill' and see if there are any diy writeups or youtube vids. It's been awhile, I think my mom's E38, was two pieces that snapped together held in place with the hood sandwiched in-between. If it's like that and you have to separate front/back inner/outer halves, be really careful with the plastic retaining clips, especially if the one's you've gotten are old, really easy to break. New plastic should be more flexible. If the one on the car is has to be separated like that, don't be surprised if most to all of the clips just break - Phyllis Diller aged better than German plastics.
    Touring525i4dawgs likes this.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Thanks for the info. Have not checked my shop manual yet was hoping for that guy that had had experience. Will check You Tube. Happy New Year!

charlson89

Happy holidays to you and your family as well! The kidneys are a easy job just work the taps slowly around until them come out. Push the new in and they snap in place.
    Touring525i4dawgs likes this.