Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

European Delivery of my new M3

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by davethompson2005, Jul 2, 2008.

davethompson2005 guest

My wife and I just returned from Munich, where we took delivery of our new 2008 E92 M3. We put 1,822 glorious miles on it while in Europe, including some careful laps of the Nurburgring, as well as a trip to the French GP in Magny Cours. The car is a dream, and a magnet for stares and cameras. Everywhere we went in both countries, we heard "M Drei!" and "Regardez! M Trois!" A year after its introduction, this car is still definitely not a common sight in Europe. The only other one we saw not in captivity was on the Nordschleife.

If you have not encountered one yet, the biggest surprise may be the sound. The wonderful V8 is completely different from the straight six. The low growl at 3,000 rpm turns to a full howl at 5,000 rpm. I found myself going out of my way to drive through tunnels. As I was limited to 5,500 rpm and 110 mph during the 2,000 mile break in period, I can only imagine the unholy things air is made to do at 8,400 rpm.

If you're considering ordering this model, I highly recommend the "M-Drive" feature. This allows you to use the iDrive to program all of your preferred performance settings, including suspension, steering input, throttle response and traction control level. Having done so, if you're driving along and out of nowhere pops a 911 and some curves, you simply press the "M-Drive" button on the steering wheel and, presto: instant race car.

I could go on for pages and pages, but I won't use up any more disk space. If you want a full review or you have questions about any aspect of ED, let me know and I'd be happy to go into detail. But in short, it is a five-star experience not to be missed. They really make you feel like VIPs…..Especially if you pull away in a new M3.

az3579

This is my dream that I want to accomplish well down the line (maybe in 20 years!). Seeing those pictures makes me more impatient!

Congratulations on your awesome experience. :D

lens314

Wow, congrats! Great looking car, especially on the 'Ring. I will be driving on the Ring next time, but probably not in a M3. Just out of curiostiy, did you wear a helmet while on the Ring?

davethompson2005 guest

No, I did not wear a helmet, nor did about 90 percent of the people I saw over several hours there. Most helmeted drivers I noticed were in modified or outright race cars with open tops. I have lots of experience wearing helmets at tracks in the U.S. (Road America, Grattan, Blackhawk Farms, Big Spring, TX and a few others), and I was not at all uncomfortable at the Ring without one.

In fact, I saw very, very few people driving on the limit. Even cars driving at 8/10ths were rare. I'd say the flavor of the track was more of a group of people enjoying "spirited driving" in a cautious, adult fashion. Of course, I was a pretty tame driver with my factory mandated 110mph speed limit on my brand new M3 engine..... :/

By the way, I was there on a Saturday, when the track was open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for the public, or "Touristenfahrten."

davem3fan DaveM3Fan

Hi Dave,

My name is Dave too... My upcoming delivery date is 8-1-08 and family and I will be picking up an Alpine White M3 Sedan.

This will be my 11th trip to the Ring, but we can really only be there for one evening session on August 6th. With a pregnant wife and our 4 year old on board, I'll be pedaling rather softly on track.

Did you get a 1,200 mile service done while you were there?
    I actually have several logistics questions for you if you are willing to address them. :)

If you are open to this, please drop me a note @ editor@ delvalbmwcca.org

Thanks!

Dave Flogaus

Editor, Bavarian Motor Notes
    Newsletter of the Delaware Valley Chapter BMW CCA

editor@delvalbmwcca.org

See our website @ www.delvalbmwcca.org

"Racing is Life. Everything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen

telum01 guest

congrats! my girlfriend and i were planning to do a trip to Japan before going to Europe. but now that i've got my eye on an M3 for next year, this might have to take priority. if it isn't too much trouble, could you give me (or all of us) a breakout of your trip? i'm still curious as to the details of ED.

az3579

It is my understanding that there are certain license plates that the 'Ring people won't allow. Did you hear anything about this?

lens314

There was some hubbub about 'Ring officials not letting Zoll plates (tourist plates, red stripe on left side, the kind we get on ED) on The 'Ring for a couple of months in '07. The weather plus the Zoll plate issue where the main reasons I did not try to venture on the track. I did not have any track time at all until April '08, so I will be prepared next time in '10 with a least a couple of track weekends under my helmet :)

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ is the best resource for 'Ring information I have found for speakers of the English language. They have all the rules listed there, including plate restrictions. Zoll plates are allowed, I just saw a new owner of a 135i via ED on bimmerfest that took his car on The 'Ring as well.

Good to know I wont need my helmet, but since I have one anyways, I might as well bring it, unless the airlines crack down even more on baggage restrictions.

cd2008 guest

Congrats, and thanks for the photos. My financee and I are going to pick up our M3 coupe at the end of July or early August (delivery date still pending), and now we really can't wait.

I'm also curious about the 1200 mile service.

Dave Flogaus - maybe we'll see you there.

Cheers,
    Christian

davethompson2005 guest

ED details

Thanks for the replies all. I can tell you that we had no problem whatsoever with our tourist plates. Of course, I was unaware that there could be any problem at all, so I was oblivious and free of stress on this subject.

The only access issue we observed was when a group of Harley Davidson riders got in line behind me for tickets to lap the Ring. One of the safety workers wearing a blaze yellow rain suit and a cool helmet walked up to the leader of the group and the conversation went like this:

Safety Worker: Vhat izz your eentention here sir?

Harley Davidson biker: We're here to cruise on the track, man!

SW: (Politely but firmly) Oh no, no, no sir. I'm afraid vee can't allow dat. Eez a very fast track. Eez much too dangerous for your bikes. Vee can't allow dat. I'm very sorry. You can vaatch from dee overlook. Now please sir, you must go now.

HD: #*^$ !"+*^&%

No offense to Harley Davidson fans, but God it's great to be at a place that respects real driving and doesn't bow down to the Hog.

ExGMan

Service on ED

Sounds like a great trip! One question that was asked (above)...how was the first service handled while you were there? Seems like there might be some sort of issue since BMWNA is responsible for the service back here.

davethompson2005 guest

I'll post my ED story in the European Delivery forum.

Thanks!

Dave

davethompson2005 guest

The first service will be handled when the vehicle lands at my BMW dealer hewre in Atlanta.

cd2008 guest

For what it's worth: I'm going to have the servicing done overseas. Also, I'm going to be purchasing the European DVD for the navigation system.

Less than a month to go now...

Christian

mslusher123 guest

Congratulations. I am considering the same delivery option. Only thing holding me back is big reservations on cost for maintaining the car after 50K. I usually keep my cars for 10 years and 200,000 miles. Did you consider what it will cost to maintain and if so what did you budget and how did you go about trying to estimate it.

Thanks and happy mototing. I test drove one last week and it made me starting weeping in some of the curves.

cd2008 guest

Thanks. I also plan on keeping this car for a long time, but I haven't calculated the maintenance costs after 50K. Sorry.

As a starter, I know the 60K and 90K services are big. Particularly the 60K.

Christian

ExGMan

Extended Maintenance Past 50,000 miles

BMW has an official program which will extend the maintenance to 6 years and 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). I don't know what the list price for this is, but www.twinkidneygrill.com (it's an Atlanta-area BMW dealer's site), sells the program for the M cars (except M5 and M6) for about $2,000.

davethompson2005 guest

I sold both of my previous BMWs (a 2000 323ci and a 2003 M3) soon after they reached 50,000 miles, so I don't have a lot of experience with higher mileage maintenance. However, the buyer of my M3 immediately purchased the additional service package described in an earlier post.

wanesso

wunderbar!

What a fabulous experience! Next one, I'm there.....I have to say that even if I had picked it up in Germany, the thrill seeing my new M3 for the first time at the humble Rochester, NY dealer was unmatched (for now)--congratulations---I love this car too, just passed break-in now and it has gotten better and better!
    enjoy!!

cybercord

I am posting a remark about the ED. All though I think 99.9% of the people expereiencing this is all positve, I want to share an expereience I have witha friend of mid that I recommended this to. He did buy an X3 and had bought through United BMW in Duluth, Ga. I have bought 3 cars from them and have been very happy with my purchase experience. All AI can say is that the sales agent for my friend, Doug Ahrens, was a nightmare. After he purchased the car, I visited United with Doug several times an notice the lack of proper BMW professionalism with this guy. Would not return call, would not update Dogh on delivery schedule and once the car wsa here, they basicly abandoned him for support. United even screwded up the liscense plate applicattion than now is late and Doug has to pay a late fee also. United did nto even cover this or attemp to resolve this. I hate to say this, but I would not recommend Untied ever again for a ED. Watch out what you agree to , because once the contract is signed, you start paying interest that day. even if it takes 3 months to get your car to you. You take it in the rear from the dealer. I'm very dissapointed in United and will warn all others about the BMW service from them. I am highly disapointed in United and BMW for not handleing htis better.