Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Audio Issue: Only Bass Drivers Work, no Mids/Highs

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by E46wagen, Sep 5, 2016.

E46wagen

Hello,

First time BMW owner and first time forum poster here. I have a 2003 325i Touring (non HK audio) and sundenly all tweeters and mids are completely non functional in the doors, oddly all bass driver are functioning fine. I checked all of the audio settings on the head unit and everything is set correctly. I did have a friend replace the refreshed door lock GM5 module and door lock regulator. To do so the driver side door panel and glove box had to me removed. Could either fix have caused this? I did order another amplifier and this did not change anything so from what I can tell the head unit and amplifier are both functioning corectly.

Any ideas as to where to start would be appreciated as I plan to fix this myself.

I did do lots of searching on this issue and did not come up with any definitive answers, so apologies if this has been posted prior here.

Cheers!

charlson89

Welcome to the forums first off! If you have already tried a different amp I am wondering if the head unit is causing the issue. The amp is just a slave to the radio, it tells the amp what to play and how to play and the amp just executes this function. I'm not sure anything with the GM should have caused this I would have to look at the wiring diagrams for your vehicle do you have the last 7 of your vin?

E46wagen

Thanks, you help would be greatly appreciated! The last 7 of the VIN is EZ15407.

charlson89

Ok first question does your vehicle have nav system in it?

E46wagen

No, it has the standard business audio head unit, non HK.

charlson89

Weird your vin specific wiring says you have nav. I'll have to look for some non specific vin ones.

E46wagen

Thanks. I am also going to pull the door panel and check the tweeters and mids to rule out they were blown with a possible surge. It's unlikely, but it's another thing I will be able to completely rule out.

charlson89

I haven't forgot about you still trying to chase down the correct wiring. Sorry for the long delay just wanna make sure I'm right.

E46wagen

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

E46wagen

I disassembled the driver side front door, and unhooked the mid and woofer and all the other tweeters and mids worked. So I hooked the mid and woofer back up and everything works now. I can't explain why it suddenly works, but I will take it.

charlson89

Thats good glad to hear this let me know if anything changes