Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Falken Azenis FK450 A/S

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdavis0590, Aug 18, 2016.

cdavis0590

First off, I've never bought "name brand" tires. Always got the budget versions. UniRoyal, Ohtsu, etc.
    That said, I can get a significant discount on these Falkens. They're supposedly the new flagship Ultra High Performance all season. The UTQG is 500 A A and the load/speed is 92Y. I can get these, road force balanced for 25% off with free road force balance.

Being a new model, there's no reviews anywhere. I basically just commute. Occasionally a spirited drive. Marginal possible of attending a track day.

So I ask first, has anyone ran these yet? Secondly, would you jump on them? I won't be able to replace for some time....

charlson89

My experience with falken tires is they seem to get choppy really easy even if the alignment is on spec. Also they don't do well in cold or rain. I personally haven't bought them so I can say for sure just what some of my customers tell me. How cheap are we talking for this?

cdavis0590

$500 out the door. For 225/40/18. I had Ohstu on my E30 which is a "budget" Falken Ziex. With both made by Sumitomo or however it's spelled. I was happy with the Ohstu but the E46 is significantly more powerful. Being a Michigander, I need a tire that can handle snow in July and rain in December and everything between. 20 below to 110+ ....
    Falken raves this is their "best" ever.

charlson89

500 for small name tire to me is a little high. I have gotten general altimax tires before and liked them a lot great for snow and summer and gripped great. I have conti dws on my e90 for 120 a tire. Best all season tire in my opinion being here in the midwest with large climate swings. Of course tire choices are personal as each depends on what the person wants out of there vehicle.

cdavis0590

I have Conti Dws on the family grocery getter, subie outback. I can't touch those for under $750. Same scenario with Michelin or whatever. I've contacted multiple stores.
    I can get a deal on the falkens because my employer has an account with the supplier. So I can get them 25% off.
    Otherwise, it's "eBay" brands. Or mismatched used.

cdavis0590

Well, I got the Falkens mounted today. Warm and sunny. Didn't push them much. Seem to be quiet though.

charlson89

Glad to hear it let us know how it goes as you get miles on them.

cdavis0590

Well I got about 1500 miles on now. First thing I noticed was a drop in gas mileage. About half a mile per gallon. Could be the heavier weight of the Hamann wheels. Could be my tendency to accelerate harder out of corners. On dry pavement, they just don't break loose.
    Drove in a few rain storms. Wet traction is very positive and predictable. Wear appears to be good, as in non existent yet.

cdavis0590

Thought I'd drop in for an update. Just a heads up, my traction control is disabled due to a sensor.

I'm blown away by the grip I have. Living along Lake Michigan I've been in a few heavy snows already. I'm not saying its an unstoppable tank, but for a manual transmission rwd with low pros it's just wow. Getting going can be tricky at times, but very stable in the worst of condition.

charlson89

Glad to hear it's going well!