Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Electrical radio/speaker short 08 335i

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bobgto, Jul 31, 2016.

bobgto guest

Started my car up and have speaker noise/loud buzzing coming from speakers, even with radio off. And even with the car off and key out it would make buzzing noises for 10 or 15 minutes. The radio does not work. Radio lights up but does not play anything. It sure seems like I have a short some ware. I was looking to pull the fuses so I could stop the noises,seems like there is several fuses for the radio. Does anyone have any ideas to help with this issue ?

charlson89

I have seen this before and it is either the radio or the amplifier causing the issue. I have seen most the time the amp is causing the issue. There is no repair for either units and will require replacement.

bobgto guest

Do you know what fuse I can pull for now intill I can get it fixed?

charlson89

fuse for the amp?

bobgto guest

Yes, amp or radio. Or I can just pull them all that are related to radio. Bmw electronics ???the dash Instrument assembley ,the stalk for controls were replaced under warranty , but now this is on me.

charlson89

Ill check and get back to you soon for the amp

charlson89

Looks like depending on your production date which fuse you will need to pull fuse 34 for production up to 2/2007. Then from 3/2007 to 8/2007 fuse 8, from 9/2007 fuse 15. Just pull the one fuse for your production range.

bobgto guest

Thank you charlson89! I should be able to tell the production date my the vin number? correct? And thanks again.

charlson89

The production date in on the vin label on the drivers door sill.

bobgto guest

My production Date is 05-08.I will try fuse 15. Thanks again.

bobgto guest

Before I pull the fuse, I tried it again. The car sat for a couple weeks because I was away.The radio/CD comes on but no sound. Before I could not get the radio display/control to do anything.

charlson89

Are you saying the radio doesn't light up?

bobgto guest

The radio lights up and will change channels and It takes a CD and changes songs,but no sound on either. So amp is bad maybe?? I still have not dug into anything yet or tested anything yet, but would like to try to fix it myself.

charlson89

It is either the amp or the radio not telling the amp to play sound.

bobgto guest

It actually did not have a fuse 15.It was fuse 14 that shuts the radio display down.I noticed that you can turn on the radio display even with out the key in,is this normal? Where is the amp on these cars? Is the fuse for the amp on the amp?

charlson89

Yes you can turn the radio on by pushing the volume button without the key. The amp is located on the drivers side trunk behind the carpet. The fuse for the amp should be behind the glove box access panel. What is the last seven of the vin I will need to get more option specific wiring diagrams to find the fuse.

bobgto guest

Thanks charlson89 for all your help.I found the amp and the reason why it failed is that it was sitting in water. After removing the amp I water tested to find the leak. It was coming through the taillight housing, the screws were a little lose and theirs a gap between the taillight housing and the body.I found gaps on both taillight housings. I'm going to seal them up and retest. I checked all the fuses that were related to the radio by the little card that shows you that is next to the glove box. None of the fuses were blown. I have a logic 7 amp and from reading online is that there proprietary with the radio head because of the fiber optic wiring. So my question is if I put a aftermarket amp in will it work with the radio? will I need to take it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed? Any suggestions?

Suggestions to other 335i owners or similar models I would suggest checking for leaks on both taillight housings. The amp side and the battery side. Pull the covers and check for water around the amp or the battery.It may save you from having this problem.

charlson89

Options of course are new which is expensive and does require programming. Aftermarket on BMW's is a huge pain to wire in and get to sound right. You could get and used one since the programming is already done and should be plug and play. But first you need to make sure you don't have any water leaks before putting any parts in the vehicle.

bobgto guest

Yes I plan on taking care of water leaks first. Then I guess I will look for a used logic 7 amp.

bobgto guest

Question- Does anybody know where the fuse for the amp is? I checked the fusebox under the glovebox ,I checked all the fuses that where related to the radio. I was told it is in the trunk.It should be a large fuse that comes off the battery. Had the amp repaired,but not getting voltage to the amp.Any help would be appreciated .This has been a long process.