Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hot air on passenger side when AC is on.

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by lambp03, Jul 27, 2016.

lambp03

My 2013 X5 3.5 is allowing hot air on the passenger side when AC is on in "auto" setting. Most the heat seems to be coming out of the vent underneath the passenger seat, although the air coming out of the dash vents is not nearly as cool as on drivers side vents. I've tried various manual setting on directing airflow, but with little effect. I have an appointment with dealer to diagnose, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this and how it was corrected.

lambp03

I'll respond to my own post since I didn't hear from anyone else and the dealer (Sandia BMW, Albuquerque) resolved the problem under warranty. Dealer first found a fault code for low refrigerant and tracked down a leak in the condenser, which was replaced. The problem persisted and the technician finally discovered that the heater valve was stuck openallowing hot water to conually flow into the heater core. The AC unit was strong enough to overpower the hot air on drivers side but not on passenger side. It was not, as I first suspected, a defective air distribution door. It's working fine now, but thought this info may help others.

charlson89

Sorry this one got by me. Thank you for updating it with the fix to help any other possible having the issue.