Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My E92 328i Ice Cream Truck

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by E92Dreier, Jun 29, 2008.

E92Dreier

Sorry to mislead you. My beloved 3-er is not used to vend ice cream. It just sounds like an ice cream truck everytime I use the brakes.

A short history:

I first had my "brake" indicator come on at about 8,000 miles. It was deemed a faulty sensor reading by Ridgefield BMW, and the computer was reset. When the squealing became more persistent, I inquired about any known issues/fixes. I was told by my former SA that the squealing was due to my abuse of the vehicle. After another few hundred miles (about 12,000 total) the "brake" indicator light was on again. Key fob data said replace brake fluid, and brake pads, according to SA #2, still at Ridgefield BMW. Also, this key info is inaccurate, the pads are fine, and that the sensor had malfunctioned. They simply shut off the computer message again. When I heard excessive squealing on my way home, I nearly had a wing ding. I explained to my SA #2 that the car was awfully expensive to have this sort of problem, undiagnosed, unsolved, and requested new pads. DENIED

I began a littany of conversation with Service Advisors around my area. None were very helpful. I eventually found Mt. Kisco BMW to be a top-notch repair facility. My new (and current) SA and his Service Manager inspected my vehicle with me on their hip. They helped me get some $ help to replace my tires, due to scalloping. They deduced that the "brake" indicator light on the dash was from a fault in the emergency brake system. The squealing was also thought to be from a worn srping or a faulty sensor in the emergency braking system. They key fob had recorded hundreds of notifications for brake pad replacement, and fluid change.

I spoke to BMW Customer Service. They were actually fairly helpful, and they encouraged me to use BMW Mt. Kisco to sort out the problems with my car. BMW Mt. Kisco saved me 900 dollars on my tire bill. They inspected the braking system -- all pads are within tolerances, and they cannot be replaced on BMW's maintenance program, according to my SA, his boss, and BMW customer service. My car still squeals like a stuck pig.

1. I am going to give my last service experience all 5's, because I know how much this means to dealers. Should I complain to BMW? My SA? His boss? I am all for asking for help from people, but htis issue has plagued my vehicle for months, and I am livid.

2. Is there an SIB on this problem for E92 vehicles? Apparently I am not the only one having this issue. E90post.com has hundreds of similar threads, complaining about the same problem.

3. Is there a DIY fix for this problem? I have tried rebedding the brakes, lubricating the rear of the pads (at caliper contacts), compressed air cleaning, etc.

4. My passengers hear my brakes squeal and say things like, "Jeez...my 16,000 dollar VW rabbit stops just as good and doesn't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard" or "Holy shoddy parts Batman, what in the name of Thor is wrong with your brakes?" What is a simple BMW-fanatic to do?

Is it time for a honda next time around? Maybe not. But, each time I hear those brakes squealing it brings me clsoer to a day when the premium price for BMW coupled with their incompetent dealer service/unrealsitic maintenance schedule/willingness to leave the customer in the lurch all combine to make me give up, and buy a something else.

HELP ME PLEASE.

ExGMan

You might want to try emailing Roundel Technical Editor Mike Miller (mmiller@roundel.org) and see if he has a suggestion. Also, there is a staff of BMWCCA volunteers who handle technical issues, and they have 'phone numbers, etc. if you'd look under "Contact Us" in the line at the top of this page.

E92Dreier

I posted to Mr. Miller last week in an e-mail. He was very prompt and helpful.

However, he suggested doing things I had told him were already done, and said that the procedures he uses (ie lubing caliper contact points and using particular brands of anti-squeal) are very good at preventing squeal. I have been down that road...3 service advisors, a host of technicians, 2 service managers, my own dumb self, an independent mechanic (who says the rotors need o be replaced) -- NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA. My service advisor had me updated to PROGMAN 29.2 just in case it was an isue with the DSC/Hill assist. It wasn't. Now I am starting to think I should bring my car to the dealer and have a wing-ding, but BMW customer care is my next stop. I will see what they say. ANy info ? ideas? Advice?

I don't feel as though I should have to become a driveway mechanic for this car. I have been there and done that, and that is why I bought brand new, and paid a premium price for a car with "Ultimate Service." The reality is that the service has been far from Ultimate. In fact it has been problematic and ineffective. Now I know why people buy Mercedes. They are willing to sacrifice the BMW's driving pleasure for competent service!

E92Dreier

Just an update:

I am also a member of two other online BMW communities. E90post.com and Bimmerforums.com offer a lot more content than this forum. I found through a few searches that this problem is not just mine. Faulty sensors, squealing pads, faulty wear indicators, etc, seem to be more the norm than the exception.

BMW has so far refused to replace my pads (and my rotors as per their regulations). I am not a happy camper, as many of the respondents on these other forums say that their front/rear pads and rotors were replaced ahead of the maintenance interval when they complained of excessive squealing. I am becoming more and more curious how one dealership determines one course of action, a different dealer goes another route, BMW NA recommends doing nothing, and I am left driving a car that is embarrassingly squeal happy.

I tried doing an "aggressive" rebedding of the pads. This seems to have temporarily diminished the volume of the squeal, as well as its frequency. For more info, go to zeckhausen.com

In the end, I am still evry happy with my Dreier. It looks great, it drives great. However, I am begining to have serious doubts about the viability of this car post warrnaty expiration. BMW's service intervals and their responses to the valid concerns of its customers are simply a joke. I have offered to pay 50% of the cost of the brake replacement, only to be told that BMW will not approve any work ahead of the maintenance schedule.

I suppose that with another few rounds of calls to BMW Customer Care, and another drive with my service advisor and his manager, maybe I could get some help (like maybe they would resurface my pads for the third time or even replace the offending pads). But as it is now, I am ducking my survey because I am afraid I will slip up and tell the truth. I don't want to get black-balled for giving accurate ratings of my experience.

In short: The Ultimate Driving Machine slogan is right on the mark. This is my second BMW, and I am a lifer. But, Ultimate Service? WHAT A JOKE. The intervals are spaced to save BMW money, not to preserve your car. If you are having trouble with a premature failure or wear issue BMW will do nothing to accomodate you, contrary to the assurances of my salesman. I feel like I am simply twisiting in the wind, despite my dedication to the marque, willingness to research problems and work on the car myself, and my membership in the BMWCCA.

End rant, back to work. Someone has to pay for this thing -- my 522.33 flies out monthly no matter the condition of my braking system.