Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Car Valurs

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by cdavis0590, Aug 9, 2016.

cdavis0590

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.

I've been trying to sell my E30 for some time. Originally, I determined value based on NADA. Then compared to similar vehicles in the area. Resulting in me lowering the asking price substantially. Besides younger new drivers and tire kickers, I haven't received much inquiry. This leads me to believe either #1 the E30 market is dead, #2 I'm still too high.

So what's the consensus here. How does one determine an appropriate value for an E30 these days? I'm on the verge of just doing a part out, simply for recouping more money. It's in pretty decent shape still so I hate the idea.

MGarrison

Unless there's debilitative rust, you'd think it would be appealing to some buyer somewhere - what shape is it in, what's the maintenance history, ever been wrecked, mileage, etc? - Never mind, I see you put ad in the 'CCA classifieds.

See if that draws any response - haven't been E30 shopping, but my offhand general impression has been of late, E30 'verts are the last of the E30's that appear to be more widely available. Seem to see ads for 'verts more than coupes & 4-drs, and overall for E30's, waaay less than later era 3'ers.

cdavis0590

I have it listed on here at $2,400.

Only rust is a bit in the rear wheels. It's a 92 convertible 5 speed. Previous owner did Shocks and Brakes in August of 2015, no receipt but you can tell driving it. I did wheels, tires, and had the drive shaft rebuilt.

It's far from perfect, but one of the nicer non-restored ones I've seen.

cdavis0590

I just bought the car last September, after 5 months of searching. At that time, anything around $2,000 said you will need to bring a trailer. I ended up traveling almost 300 miles. And in reality, I should have trailered it. Tires were mismatched, severe vacuum leak and heavily worn drive shaft.

charlson89

As sad as it is to say the e30 market is slowing down quite a bit. They almost have to be 100% restored or super low miles to be worth a lot. The converts are of course the suffering the worst and the 4 door and 2 doors are most sought after. Not sure about your market, how many e30's are there for sale?

cdavis0590

When I search Craigslist, none show up except mine. In nearby areas there's an 84 318I with parts for M52 swap. No price listed. Then there's a 91 318IS that says it's rusty, brake/clutch issues for $1,500.

charlson89

Have you posted to a national site besides here? Might help with someone not in your area looking for one.

cdavis0590

Yeah, I'm on eBay. As well as E46Fanatics. The few E30 forums I used require too many stipulations to post in classified.

charlson89

I have had good luck with cars.com and auto trader before.

cdavis0590

Do they charge? How was spammer calls?

floydarogers

Autotrader charges ($20 or so iirc), while cars.com does not (unless you want a "premium" listing.)
    You will probably get a call or two from someone wanting to help you market it.

cdavis0590

Thanks. I'll check out cars.com then. I don't want to spend more as that's just more in the loss category. I did actually get an offer but it's a pretty bad spanking on my end.