Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Top Tier Fuel

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Teddy, Jun 27, 2008.

330indy1

"Top" Tier

10% ethanol is a bad deal (.)

Phillips 66, or any of these on this list.... I don't care if it makes this 'top tier' list. If it says 10% ethanol mix, I drive on to another station.
    In this regard Top Tier is a sham, and means little to me. It is a minimum standard of sorts I guess. Those that would do in a pinch are Chevron and Shell. But I would still avoid if they were a 90/10 mix.

BP / Amoco ultimate 93 is the ticket in my use, which I have used almost exclusively since 1991 in all sorts of vehicles. The bimmers love it.

M3Driver guest

I hear ya....but it's getting harder and harder to find any ethanol-free fuel, at least in the south....:(

catchuk guest

yeah, in Tampa, fl I can't find any gas stations without ethanol, its law now that all the stations must use ethanol. :mad:

Lori330ci2005 guest

Hi just read your post about gas,new bmw owner330ci 2005,love it!!! Where can I find Amoco Indy or near Carmel......Thanks for your help

kkratoch

I don't see exxon on the list, but I just filled up with exxon 93 a couple days ago and I swear I am getting about 2mpg more than what I normally do. It may just be a fluke, but I think I will go back there next fill up and see what happens.

330indy1

Amoco Ultimate fuel is served up at BP stations.
    1. There is one just north of 146th on hwy 31 (Meridian); on the east side of the road, north of WalMart behind McDonalds.
    Also here are others in north Indy/Zionsville area:
    2. one in Nora: 86th street & Westfield, northeast corner of intersection
    3. one at Trader's Point: west 86th street, near Dick's Sporting Goods, south side of road
    4. one off 465, west side, at 71st street exit/ just west of Zionsville rd. intersection, again next to McDonalds.

and in case you wondered, no I am not a McDonalds junkie either ! :p

330indy1

by the way check this out!
    http://www.bp.com/faq.do?categoryId=9009386&contentId=7022073

"Does Amoco Ultimate premium fuel meet the automakers' "Top Tier" standard?

Amoco Ultimate premium fuels exceed Top Tier requirements with respect to its detergent additive treatment. BP believes that consumer interests are best served when the automotive and oil industries work cooperatively to determine the optimal mix of vehicle hardware and fuel standards"

granthr

If Amoco Ultimate premium fuels exceed Top Tier standards why are they not a Top Tier Gasoline retailer? I would be skeptical.

GR

330indy1

nahhh.
    what do they have to gain to deceive(?)
    perhaps they can't say so on the pumps because there is no ethanol in it. here they say they meet the detergency requirements....

granthr

Ahh, you could be right. But I am a big fan of Shell, so I tend to stick with them.:D Around where I live Shell stations are still mostly owned by "Mom and Pops", so I like supporting them too.

GR