Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DE ride needed

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2016' started by gvcmel, Dec 10, 2015.

gvcmel

Looking for a seat in the DE at Laguna. In no way am I traveling that far without a day on the track.

Took a Skippy school at Laguna years back and drove a 135 in the A group last time OFest was there. Lots of experience in "other peoples" cars so I'm not a thrash it and leave it rental driver.

Fully prepared to pay rental fees including track insurance. Just looking for a fun drive. What ya gotz?

Any SpecE46 cars? Would love to spend a day in one. Thinking of building one.
    • Staff

steven s

Ralph Warren will probably have cars to rent. Race and street.

gvcmel

Already contacted Ralph. Might end up in the touring but lets see what else turns up.

briang

Here are a few more places to contact locally who can provide a range of options:

TFB Performance - Tim/415.205.2222 - has Spec E30s, Spec Miatas and more available, full arrive and drive options
    TC Design - Tony/408.377.7707 - would know who has BMWs in the area, including SE46s

There's a list from the local SCCA region here as well:
    http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2015/RoadRacing/rentalracecars11_2015.pdf

Hope that helps - see you there!

Brian

gvcmel

Thanks Brian! I'll call them shortly.

gvcmel

If you're like me and flying instead of driving to OFest this year you may be wondering about the possibility of a ride for the DE at Laguna Seca.

Sonoma Valley Racing will have 4 spec E30 cars available for rental. Terms and fees are still being settled but I've already spoken for one seat as the rates for a fully prep'ed car and support were what I have experienced before.

If you are interested (why go if you can't drive the track?) contact Ray at info@sonomavalleyracing.com.

woodym3

I see these recommendations for race car rentals, but you should note that Laguna Seca had severe noise restrictions at O'fest 2013. Not sure if these would apply this year or not.

gvcmel

Thanks. Since this team races there on a regular basis I'm guessing they are aware of the limits and should be able to meet them. Hopefully, without the "Leguna" tailpipes I saw on many of the locals cars last time we were there.
    • Staff

steven s

The limit is 105dB this time.
    gvcmel likes this.

Fooshe

Ray's Spec E30 cars will meet the 105db limit with no problem and Ralph should have no problem with his cars, too.

However, the cars need to meet the minimum standards for HPDE's as per the BMW CCA operations manual, which can be found at: https://www.bmwcca.org/sites/default/files/content/media/docs/BMW_CCA_Operations_Manual.pdf.

I would have a look and make sure the car you plan on driving/using at O'fest meets the minimum standards because those rules are going to be strictly enforced. I can tell you this, some race cars DO NOT meet those standards.

dmmai

Just adding to what Steven said.
    A quick question.
    Are you HPDE rated as Advanced - Solo Approved?
    If you are, then a single seat might work. The rule book will tell you.
    If not, the car must have two functioning seats meeting safety requirements.
    As Steven said, many race cars do not.

Enjoy!!

gvcmel

I've forwarded your concerns to Ray. Hopefully there won't be a problem.

gvcmel

Last time there, signed off after first session.