Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E38 cooling problem

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by LAGUNA7, Jun 26, 2008.

LAGUNA7 guest

Can anyone direct me to documentation of cooling problems related to my 2000 740iL? My service writer told me it was a consistent problem; later I had an engine failure and now the dealer and BMW NA is saying there is no history of cooling problems whatsoever and I am on my own! Much thanks.

KeifR guest

What in particular is happening? Any leakage? Sweet smell? Location? Have you looked through the TIS documentation?

Autohaus guest

Stay clear of the stealer. Find an independent BMW shop in your area. Look up Bimrs.org or look up your local yellow pages. Just like what KeifR said, explain the problem further in detail...

KeifR guest

If you don't see much going on externally, I do recall seeing articles on a valley pan gasket issue. Also, check out e38.org -- it's a great site with a lot of writeups on various e38 tasks.

Gatsby740iL guest

Nothing cold be farther from the truth! Our cars are "Known' to have Cooling System failures upon reaching higher mileage (usually just north of 100K). The Water Pump, Radiator, Thermostat (and housing-which sometimes startes to leak), and Expansion Tank are just a few examples of where to start looking. It doesn't happen to us all (OR RATHER.. maybe hasn't happened yet).. but this is where I would start my search knowing these are usually the cause.

Also.. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a Bentley Manual for your car. It is an invaluable source of detailed photos and descriptions from everything like a simple bulb replacement to more involved Engine issues and wiring diagrams. I bought mine at Autohaus Arizona (CLICK HERE-Direct Link To The Manual For Sale) for $86.99 which might seem like a lot.. but when the nearly 2" thick (3+lb) book arrives.. you will be glad you made the investment, Believe Me!

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find.

-Gatsby :cool:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Also, what was the nature of your "engine failure"? Cooling system failures on recent BMWs are well documented and common for higher mileage callers.

Autohaus guest

Please further explain the 1986 327i............ :)

mooseheadm5

Oh that? 86 325e with original 2.7L bottom end with 87 325i head milled down 0.040" (that's right) ported with intake and exhaust manifolds ported and matched to head. 87 325i injection. Soon to be rebodied in a newer E30 with lightened flywheel.

LAGUNA7 guest

clarification

Ok, here is what it did: uses coolant without any leakage anywhere. "Stealer" does $3,000 worth of repairs twice, (radiator, water pump, hoses, intake valley gasket, etc.) Never gets fixed. My wife on a road trip, middle of nowhere and without warning, overheats an toasts the motor. Dealer not interested in helping at all.
    I am now sueing them and I would like something I can print and show a judge that E38's tend to have this problem. Something like a recall advisory or a petition. The service writer told me E38's were "prone to cooling system problems" now the BMW dealer rep and BMW N.A. say, "oh no, they are perfect cars". HELP!

az3579

mooseheadm5

Unfortunately, just because these cars have cooling system problems, the ultimate responsibility to check the coolant and watch the gauge rests on you. Chances are you will not get one thin dime from them. If it was overheating and your wife drove it until the engine shut off, that will be your problem, not BMW's. We see it all the time at our shop. Cars towed in "but I shut it off as soon as I saw it overheating" actually means "it was overheating, but it was inconvenient for me to shut it off, so I kept driving it and nuked the motor, but it is not my fault." I am not saying that this is what happened, nor am I criticizing you, but unless the car runs very low on coolant and is driven anyway, or unless the thermostat sticks shut and the car is driven regardless of the gauge in the red, sudden unexplained engine failure does not usually happen. If one of the cooling system components gives out and the car loses all the coolant suddenly, then the sickly sweet smell and all the steam should be your cue to shut it down.