Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

xenon upgrade

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by ramondaze, May 20, 2016.

ramondaze

hi ,im thinking of upgrading my stock xenon lights on my 05 330xi ,should I change to a better bulb ?,or go with a new kit .any help would be appreciated . thanks ray

MGarrison

Guess it depends on how much you want to spend - bulbs are the less-expensive option.

charlson89

Depends on what your looking for out of your upgrade? Personally I would replace the bulbs.

ramondaze

ramondaze

ramondaze

ramondaze

ramondaze

ok ill go with bulb upgrade .I work 2nd shift not very much light on the roads I drive.my stock bulb is h7 55watt.what bulb will give me a lot more light and better beam ? thanks ray

charlson89

h7 thought you had xenon lights?

MGarrison

What's the last seven of your vin Ray?

If you're looking to upgrade the H7's, you can only go so far trying higher wattage bulbs without risking issues with the stock wiring, which are sized to safely handle stock current draw. There is _some_ headroom, but just poppin' in 100w or 130w low beam bulbs with stock wiring, you risk a wiring meltdown, electrical short, and potentially fire - and THAT would be baaaad news big time!

I would suggest looking at Bavauto.com, selecting your year and car, and then look at what bulb/light options they have, which should offer an improvement - again, stock wiring constrains you from safely getting radical lighting gains.

If you want to safely use much-higher-wattage bulbs, the way to do that is employ upgraded larger high-temp wiring and high-temp bulb sockets through appropriate relays, triggered off your stock wiring. There are a few potential downsides to upgraded extremely bright lighting on the street - they could pose a blinding hazard to oncoming drivers, particularly if mis-aimed, and there's at least the potential to draw attention to yourself and the ire of your local gendarmerie if they see you and decide your headlights are exceedingly overbright.

You may want to check out the 'sensible wiring' subsection here, plus the 'all about relays' and 'which bulb should I choose' and peruse the other topics and site for interest's sake.

See: http://www.rallylights.com/reference-center

To keep it simple and avoid a wiring project though, going with options suggested by Bavauto.com presumably would get you some improvement. If you have fog lights, don't forget those too. If you're on dark roads at night, if they're not heavily trafficked with oncoming vehicles, at least use your brights as much as you can.