Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M57 and carbon build up. What is BMWAG or BMWNA saying if anything?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by 339856, Mar 21, 2014.

daveclose

Here’s my work-in-progress. I’ve always wanted a BMW and got the fever for a 335d. After a long search I found a 2011 with 37K miles, clean Carfax, one owner. I bought it from an independent who deals only with low-mileage BMWs (former dealership guys). It’s still under the new car warranty. I went into this with my eyes open about CBU and maintenance, although I wish my eyes had been open even more.
    Eight weeks after purchase, on a 300-mile highway trip the SES light came on and it ran rough. Called BMW and they said it was safe to drive it home. Turned out to be a failed injector and drove home 150 miles on five cylinders. That was fixed under warranty. Two months later another SES, although no obvious drivability problems. This was a couple of days of reprogramming, and another new injector, under warranty. Another month or so and another SES light. This time the dealer did a walnut blasting under warranty. But when they put it back together they heard noise and there was vibration on the test drive. Speculation that a piece of carbon was rattling around in the head. They need to keep the car and fix the new problem.

So now the engine is out of the car; the head is off the engine; the cams are out, all the valves are arranged on the workbench. They need a tool from Germany that’s back-ordered so it will be at least two more weeks. I’m driving a loaner X3 diesel (pretty nice).

The dealer has been good through all of this – I have no complaints (except that I will have been without my car for 5 weeks). It’s covered, and just before this happened I bought a three-year extended. But my confidence in this car is really shaken. I've put 4,000 miles on it and it's been in for work for nearly a month total in eight months. I have a feeling that despite all this major work (it has to be $12K or more) that damn SES light will return. Despite the great pleasure of this car when it’s working, I think my diesel experiment will be a one-time thing.

Mil.flyer

UPDATE: The BMW dealer said it will cost $7300 and BMWNA will provide 50% good will. this assumes all injectors get replaced plus the walnut shell blast. Thoughts anyone?

MGarrison

I think in another thread the price of diesel injectors came up, something like $630-650 each?! Eek! IF your $7.3k includes the injectors and the walnut shell treatment and you're "only" $3750 out of pocket, that's a deal, unless you have a cheaper alternative. BMW goodwill on repairs & service isn't easily come by, so, relatively speaking, it's not something to refuse casually in hopes of getting more.

nickgolemis

Sounds similar to a situation I was in. Took the car in for, what the codes said, was one failed injector. Two days later, received a call from my SA saying they needed to do a carbon cleaning and replace all 6 injectors. BMW NA stepped up to goodwill 50% of this, to which I obliged.

Fast forward 2 months. I had no carbon build up and the 6 injectors didn't fix the problem. They were just throwing parts at the car, to the tune of $7500. The dealership reversed all the work, and finally told me I needed a new engine and that I needed to cough up $18k or remove the car. Once this came to light, BMW completely reneged their goodwill offer and told me to pound sand.

6 months now, I haven't had my 335D. I do have a 3rd party warranty, and its at a friends shop where the issue is still being tracked down. Unbelievable really.

Hopefully your story ends different.

On a lighter note, my x5d runs well...

MGarrison

:eek::(