Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Headlights?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by bimini, Jun 24, 2008.

bimini

OK, I feel like an idiot for asking this question but here goes-- What do the inner headlights on a E46 or E92 ( or others) do? As far as I can tell they do not do anything. High and Low beam are apparently only on the outer 2 lights ( the ones nearest the corners). On my E46 the only time the the inner lights would come-on is with sustained pressure on the high beam lever which resulted in a super bright light, reverting to standard high beam when pressure was released.

There is no mention of the function of the inner headlight set in the E92 owners manual. WTF? I must be missing something!

az3579

I know that there are some E46's that have those lights programmed as daytime running lights. I'm not sure about E9x's though.

I don't know why it would be different, but the older bimmers (E36, E30) have their high beams in the inner two lights...

kkratoch

In a car with HID they are flash-to-pass and DRL.

bimini

I don't think DRL involve the inner set of headlights on the E92. It is the Angel ring but very bright. And I don't see the Flash to pass on the E92 either.

lugnut guest

On my E92 they are only used as part of the adaptive headlight system. When you turn the wheel to the right, the passenger side inner lamp will illuminate. The driver's side inner when you turn left.

Took me about a week to figure it out. I was convinced I had intermittent lights before I had my moment of clarity.:)