Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

TPM Malfunction

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by manmngo, Mar 30, 2016.

manmngo

My TPM Malfunction warning has been on for a month or so. I reset it, reset it reset it.... you know what I mean! Every time I reset, all my tires turn "green" and "active" is on for a brief moment then the malfunction came back on. BTW, I did check for proper tire pressure with a gage including the spare. I did not have a flat and don't have any aftermarket tires. I searched the web for tips, some suggested that to drive around for 10 minutes during reset, well, did that but didn't help. I don't have any tool to check the TPM Control Unit nor check the sensor's battery for all the tires. Logically, (4) tires can't be bad at the same time, right? What else can I do beside bring it to the dealer? Could it be the TPM Control Unit? Where is this unit located in my car? (2007 750i) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Man N

charlson89

Do you have the metal valve stems?

MGarrison

Also, how old are your sensors in the wheels? I'm not sure what, if any, tools there might be to check the sensor batteries. Seems like there ought to be a tool for that, though.

manmngo

I bought the car in July 2013, with new tires (I doubt that anyone changed the sensors at that time), so it would be 9 years old. It would be nice if I can check the battery!
    Thx,
    Man N

MGarrison

I would guess 9 years is at the upper-end of the range for TPMS battery-life. I'd tend to think it's more likely a dead sensor battery than the system box in the car, I don't know, but presumably a code-readout would show if a fault code for the monitor brainbox was thrown. If there's a way to test each sensor, a replacement would be ez enough. If it turns out to be a sensor battery, the others might follow at any time, but if you don't mind waiting, you'll find out how long they last. As long as you check and know your pressures are ok, a dead sensor battery & the dash warning that comes with it isn't a problem otherwise.

charlson89

In your vehicle there is many components for the tpm system to work from the wheel sensors to triggers to the module itself. Would need fault codes to point you in a direction.

manmngo

Are you preferring to BMW fault code reader or just any reader? I just have a generic reader that I use for my other cars. Which do you recommend (that won't send me to bankruptcy!)?

Thanks

MGarrison

If you could get a code readout from a dealer, that would likely show if there were codes for the car-side tpm system, or if it was a code for not getting anything from wheel sensors. I don't know what all a generic OBD-II checker checks, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover all of BMW's electronics. But, since you have that, why not try it and see if it shows anything, just in case - can't hurt.

charlson89

Most generic readers obd2 can not read the tpm module faults unless specified for that brand. BMW would be best but of course this is pricy there are devices that use bluetooth like a kiwi that you can download bmw software on your phone to read the modules.

jvpierce

After looking for new tires and rims these past two weeks, one thing I learned is the battery has a life approx 5-7 yrs so 9 years as said above is the upper life span and seems to be within reason as the problem. I'm gonna pick up new TPM stem kit and throw in the new rims.