Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2012 535ixdrive run flats replacement

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jvpierce, Mar 22, 2016.

jvpierce

I need new run flat tires on my 2012 535ixdrive with 22k miles. Came with contiprocontact ssr XL. Really never liked them.
    First question do I need to replace with run flat and if so what is the best all season tire for here on Long Ilsnad, NY. I understand there are different opinions.

charlson89

Big issue is if you do not go with run flats you do not have a spare tire so if you get a flat you will need a tow. Do you know your tire size of the tires so I know what options you can have?
    jvpierce likes this.

jvpierce

245/45/18
    I have 245/45/18

I'm told from a few sources the suspensions is designed for run flats and changing will have a BMW drive like a ford Victorian.
    What's your option
    Thanx

charlson89

You have a couple choices with that tire size couple being pirelli cinturato, bridgestone potenza. I really don't hear to many issues with the conti's any reason you didn't like them? As for the the suspension you wouldn't really feel a difference from a runflat to standard tire.
    jvpierce likes this.

jvpierce

Are the tires u recommend RF and Will the tire pressure system work with non RF?
    I see the century P7 are about $300 cheaper.

charlson89

Yes the tire pressure system will work with either tire. And the one's I recommend are runflats.
    jvpierce likes this.

jvpierce

Hi again,
    I looked into a spare tire but takes up too much room in truck for my needs.
    I checked into the tires u recommended. I really likes the Pirelli Cinturos P7 All Season run flats but seems that they do not come in my size for all season, only in ultra high performance summer. For all season they only come in 245/50/18 and 225/45/18. Will either of these work on my rims?

Everyone is recommending the Bridgestone Drive Guard as the best all season run flats. Your thoughts?

Regards,
    Jim

MGarrison

Are you looking at Tirerack.com? Their website is good for tire searches & comparisons, a variety of ways to narrow down choices and show results (price high-to-low, UTQG low-to-high, etc.) You don't want tires that are narrower than what came stock with your stock wheels. Lots of variables, but typically, it may be possible to run a wider size tire, but running narrower isn't necessarily safe - the tire bead may not be able to be seated or remain seated.

It's easy to over-geek in tirerack.com's Research & Advice section, see the section width & aspec ratio parts here; if you read it all, just in that you'll understand basic tire specs better than about 99% of everyone else.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

The potential problem with running a higher aspect ratio tire on an x-drive car is the larger rolling diameter difference from the stock size. There's probably not a clearance problem with the suspension or within the wheelwell, but, it will have you running less tire rpm's than the stock size, and the cars electronic systems that control the x-drive system may all be calibrated to expect a certain rpm range that 245/50's aren't in (Charlson will know more on that than I do). On an x-drive car, it's important to keep the same sizes on each axle as what the car came with.

Taking a look at Tirerack.com for your car, it shows only 5 all-season for your car in the stock size. You don't want the Yokohama Envigors, too old with the 2012 production, they're already 4 years old just sitting there, and tire compounds harden and age over time regardless of use - that's why it's better to replace tires that are over 5 yrs old regardless of whether they're worn down or not. The Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position is the only one left that offers decent performance and is in the high-performance all-season category, so, I'd say go for those. They're the right size, and should work as well as the Conti's did in comparable conditions.

You may want to consider new TPMS sensors along with the new tires - if you re-use the original ones and a sensor battery dies, unless you just tolerate the car's omnipresent TPMS warning signal, then replacing them later means dismounting and re-balancing all tires to install new ones, & the inconvenience/expense of that. Charlson will know for sure, but I'm not sure there's a way to identify which of the four has died if one quits. I think typical TPMS battery life may be about 5 yrs. or so.
    jvpierce likes this.

dmmai

Hi Jim,
    Everyone has different experiences, driving styles and locales so there will always be differing opinions.
    We've had experience with Bridgestone, Continental and Pirelli all-season run-flats on our Bimmers.
    I've heard and read that Bridgestone has made improvements but our two sets of Bridgestone all-season run-flats were actually quite awful. Rough riding, Incredibly Noisy and very short-lived. Both sets were replaced with Continentals that were MUCH better, in every way. I had Conti DWS (non run-flat) on an E39, that was a great all-season tire.
    We are running Pirelli all-season run-flats on a couple of cars now. They're really pretty good. Maybe not quite up to the Contis but certainly quite good. My wife's X3 rolled over 45,000 miles on Pirelli run-flats and they were still pretty quiet and still had 5/32 tread.

Hope this helps a little.
    jvpierce likes this.

jvpierce

Thanks to all for their input and knowledge. I've decided to dump the run flats. After reading up on the Pirelli's Cinturato P7 AS+ which I thought I was going with and the Mitchelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ I've decided to go with the ContiExtremecontactDWS06 All Season tires and purchasing the donut kit.