Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 Fuel Filter Change

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by Teddy, Jun 22, 2008.

Teddy guest

Could someone please inform me exactly where the fuel filter is on a 1998 Z3 with a 1.9 engine. Also, precautions about replacing. Is there a site that shows the part on the vehicle? Although my low mileage - always stored BMW has been near perfect, it now stalls while driving and stopping; and this is usually after 8-10 minutes of driving. This first occured after I opened the car up this spring. A friendly neighbor who worked and lived in Germany, suggested in may be the fuel filter. I realize this may be only one of many possibilities, but it's a starting point for something that probably should be changed anyway (10 years old).

elfhloa

The fuel filter for the 1.9 and other Z3's are in the same location. Underside of the car beneath the drivers seat/RH foot. A black metal shield covers the fuel filter on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel. It's held on by a few self-tapping screws and when you pull it off you'll see the long aluminum fuel filter: (going from memory ;) )

http://bmwfans.info/original/Z3/roa/Z3 1.9-M44/USA/L/N/1996/07/mg-13/ill-13_0635/

You can put a clamp on the short rubber connector lines on either side of the filter....I just pull if off and let the fuel drip into an empty coffee can. (Maybe you can reuse it now that it's $4+ a gallon.)

*Loosen the hose clamps (get some 1/4" replacment clamps at the local auto store)
    *Rotate/spin the filter around by hand so it breaks loose the rubber seal created from years of hose clamps squeezing down on the filter tubes.
    *Replace with flow arrow pointing towards the engine.

Teddy guest

fuel filter location - Z3

Thank you for taking time to respond. It sounds like a reasonable task. I have tinkered with the small stuff for years - but only on American cars.

If I could trouble you for another comment (or two); how did you know your filter was bad?
    Secondly, would you happen to know the location of the fuel pump? I'm merely asking at this time as I was told I may have gummed-up parts within the fuel system by not running the car for 4-5 months (winter storage); also not using Stabil in the gas.

Good news is the car is running better as of yesterday. I used an additive called Techron, and drove the car on the freeway and varied speeds between 70 and 85 for forty miles. Only had one engine drag as I was pulling off the freeway about mid-way on my experiment. I am not sure what this did, or means, but I assume it is connected with the saying, "Take it out and blow out the carbon!"

God bless.

M3Driver guest

Techron is good stuff and is in Chevron and Texaco fuels. Make sure you use Top Tier Fuel as well. This website tells you all about it: http://www.toptiergas.com/

Cheers...

elfhloa

RE: Comments...

1) The fuel filter change is part of routine maintenance. I change mine ever 20K miles. I never had a bad filter but assume symptoms would be fuel starvation during hard acceleration, similar to dying fuel pump.

2) The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank. (not easy to access IMO)

http://bmwfans.info/original/Z3/roa/Z3 1.9-M44/USA/L/N/1998/05/mg-16/ill-16_0206/

I'd keep up the Techron treatments. Another symptom of old/dirty gas is it can coat the fuel sending unit probe in the gas tank and your fuel gauge can "go nuts" while driving. The gauge will bounce around from empty to full. Had this happen on my Z3 M Coupe a few times....usually the Techron treatment cures it.

Teddy guest

I again appreciate your tips - both on fuel filter location and use of Techron. Today my Z kept stalling as I was starting it for the first time in a few days. Once running, it drove quite nicely (mainly freeway) for remainder of the drive. I did stop and fill with premium gas (it had 87 oct) and just as you stated, the gas gage went nuts; from empty to full - but it only happened once.
    Just happened to find Techron on sale at Murrays (two 20 oz bottles for $15). Put another 12 oz in tank. I am hopeful this product begins solving some of my fuel mangagement probs. including the sending unit. Things are looking up. Thanks again!

To the person who suggested Texico and Chevron gas -- Thanks much. I am unable to find these stations in SE Mich.

For anyone out there --- Can gas be old at a service station? I drove into an affluent area to fill up with high octane as I don't believe much is sold in my town.

I am glad to have this forum. It's seldom I run into Z owners and I believe by swapping notes we are helping many people..

Teddy guest

After I changed the filter, I blew through the Kayser and then through the new Bosch filters. There was quite a bit of air flow differerence (about30-40%) between old and new. I'm not sure if the restriction in the OE Kayser was a bad thing. Although it seems logical that less restriction is better.
    I ended up with a Bosch on a false phone confirmation for a Mann filter. Drove 25 minutes from home and the parts guy set a Bosch on the counter. Hope its close in quality to OE.