Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rambler

Discussion in 'The Hack Mechanic Goes Online (closed)' started by scottstradley, Feb 18, 2015.

scottstradley

Enjoyed your article on Ramblers. They were ahead of their time. Made inexpensive, reliable, decent mpg for their time when America wanted huge cars. My first car was MG. Great car but every month or so weird noise from right front. Dad and I would take it all apart and go hmmmm. Nothing wrong. Noise gone. For a month or so. And as you know turn off high beams and everything electric would go off. Loved it though.

My Dad had what my mother deemed mental illness for convertibles. Which I have kept up in his memory. Except I have 1 topless car at a time. Like him, I constantly surf, but I only scheme, he executed. At one time for 4 drivers had 8 cars of which at least 3 were topless. He constantly bought and sold non-primary cars and focused on convertibles. Dad had to choose between used 1966 mustang and 1966 rambler classic. Mother won. Mustang was manual top, Rambler was power so Rambler it was. Gorgeous Aqua deep sea blue green in flawless condition. Had the 232 6 cylinder. Same engine they'd made since about 1932. Dead reliable, good milage. Could stop and couldn't hear car running at idle. I drove that car for 6 yrs. a stunningly beautiful car with zero problems.

Until I ran it thru barb wire fence. Took 3 rolls of duct tape to repair top, which didn't leak for next 2 yrs. Body also lost its beauty from fence posts. I cried that night. But drove it 2 yrs even though looked like something from creature from dark lagoon.

Then drove my grandfathers 1966 rambler plain old coupe with same 232 for 2 yrs. Rusted to death after 12 yrs but I got 2 great yrs from it with zero issues, about 22 mpg when my brother got 4 mpg from his maxed out hot rod modified firebird. When got his Rambler I put convertible in garage hoping to restore. Which my Dad sold to friend after 2 yrs knowing I'd never get around to doing.

Non-Rambler owners don't know what they missed. Mechanically they kept refining, so built in reliability, and yes those lay flat front seats. Then tried to AMC change and lost their focus. And yes I also had Gremlin with sport pkg. Great car with horrible brakes. Zero problems but couldn't figure out why they put big engine in small light car with brakes half the size of my classic convertible. Go fast never stop. Didn't drive it for 6 months, got in and started right up though.
    I peruse used Ramblers and scheme. But traveling for work every week figure have one car. Newer, and don't have wife ask what and when will I do something with that damn car that needs work stuck in the garage. She jumped for joy when I finally sold the 2 BMW bikes, once of which I'd owned longer than we've been married.

Of course the real question is should I see a therapist to overcome the issues of my first 4 cars being a MG and 3 ramblers/AMC? Or get over it by buying 199x porsche turbo cab. Almost did it couple months ago to replace the Z, but the Rambler in me chickened out. Your advice is appreciated. I need a Rambler Porsche lover to help me over the edge.

Ken.S.330

Mom and Dad had a 1960 Rambler Rebel, dark blue over light blue. Being the youngest I spent many hours sitting in the middle of the back seat on the hump. The car had a V8 and push button automatic transmission. Of course there was no A/C and I think it may have had clear plastic seat covers. I remember the smallish tail fins and un-tinted windows. We would take summer vacations from LI, NY to DC and up to Lake George, visit grandparents in the Bronx and Jersey City. Ah, good times when you are little kid.

scottstradley

Well I had weak moment and did it. Bought cpo '11 911s cab. Sold the z. Enjoyed the z3 for 5 yrs. Loved the z4 for 5 yrs. Both were extremely reliable and a joy every day.

After 2 weeks the 911 is lust. I now see why you've kept yours all these yrs. However I learned a hard lesson. A temporary tag doesn't stay attached to the car at when driving triple digits. And to those aghast it was on fwy with light traffic all going 80+.
    I've driven multiple m's and loved them, but 911 is tactile and auditory sensation. To those who've never driven one -don't. BMW is superb car, but just not the same. Do love wife's x3 for suv and to her credit she doesn't want to entertain any other, so still in the bmw fold.

Ken.S.330

For a moment there I thought you went and bought a Rambler.

scottstradley

Would but being married negates the need for fold flat seats.
    Ken.S.330 likes this.