Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How to remove hazard switch

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by elgersma, Feb 21, 2016.

elgersma 82 BMW 633CSI, 02 BMW 540i, 04 BMW 330Ci

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the hazard switch. I have looked online, ... Nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Alan

charlson89

elgersma 82 BMW 633CSI, 02 BMW 540i, 04 BMW 330Ci

Thank so much for the link. I will check it out.

MGarrison

Simple:
    [IMG]

Ok, just kidding!

From Charlson's link, if you have an early 6'er covered by that, look in "61 Chassis - Electrical", hazard switch removal is a few down in the chapter list, "080".

Here's a link to realoem for a later 6'er (you might want to start at the beginning with your production month/yr or vin so it's the right listing for your car - looks like earlier 6's had round hazard switches with a square surround.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5374-USA-06-1987-E24-BMW-635CSi&diagId=61_0706

In any case, from the realoem diagram, looks like the switches insert from the front, which means they should pop out - but, how to do that...

Saw a suggestion to try a credit card - not a bad idea, might be too thick.though (I wouldn't use one of your own real ones, one of those bogus promotion ones that come in junk mail though).

Perhaps a first safe thing to try would be to see if you could get a corner or edge of a plastic card under one edge of the switch housing and if that might start to pry it out the least bit. If you could make any initial progress, you could likely get another card or two under and slid around the edge to an adjacent or opposite side. From there, using a small screwdriver or something to get under the edge with the card protecting the fascia and & then prying it out probably would be pretty straightforward.

As you can see in the diagram, the switch itself is in a plastic housing, so the line that surrounds the housing in the dash is what you'd want to try to get something into to try to pry the switch out. Obviously, you can dent/damage the surround if you just barge in there with something hefty or sharp. I have a set of very small-tipped screwdrivers in a electrical-repair screwdriver set - I'd try couple of the thinnest-blade screwdrivers and try to keep a credit card or something like that also against the base edge of the blade so as to try to keep from denting the surround when prying - but, that's trying with just what I happen to have at hand, and that's only helpful if you have the same - some very thin-edged flatedge screwdrivers, and want to give that route a go. The less aggressive you have to be, the less likely the chance to mark/damage the fascia. There are any variety of tool possibilities - if you have plastic trim tools or maybe even some plastic-tipped artist's clay modeling tools, something like that might work. I wonder if there's something like a 1/2"-wide spackling tool/blade (basically, a thin, rectangular piece of flexible spring steel... hmm... wonder if a feeler gauge might work).

If for some unlikely reason the switch retaining clips were tweaked, they might perhaps have the switch essentially stuck in, which means you'd have to get behind it to compress the clips (which, and one would hope not, might mean having to remove the whole fascia, or worse, dash). I doubt that would be at all likely, just remotely possible.

I suppose it might be possible to use some pliers on the switch itself to try and pull it out, but... it sticks out so little, I don't see how anything could grab it and hold it with the force that would be required to pull it out without damaging the plastic of the button part (if not cracking/breaking it), or breaking the switch so it doesn't work.

Might be a good question to throw at the http://bigcoupe.com or http://www.mye28.com/ folks.

I think this is a pic of a later 6'er dash -

[IMG]

Not sure if it's possible - but, IF the space above the radio is open, AND if you have a radio that's easily removeable, and IF you can get fingers on the backside of the a/c switch in the above pic and push it out, then you might be able to use that slot to get fingers on the hazard switch and push it out. However, that would be a hassle compared to just prying out the switch, and obviously wouldn't be doable if you can't get access to the a/c switch from underneath.

Assuming this pic is accurate & similar to your hazard switch, you can see the retaining spring clips are on the short sides, so prying on the short sides, you'd start to see the ends of the clips pretty quickly.

[IMG]

charlson89

pry bar works really well to ;)