Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Still working on that car - five years later.

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Crossbow37, Feb 5, 2016.

Crossbow37

Hi, all -
    I first joined BMWCCA in 2010 after buying a '76 2002A to restore. Started working on it and had to quit for several reasons, but I'm now in a position to finish the project. The body work is all finished, the engine and tranny rebuilt, and it's almost all put back together. Another person did most of the disassembly and he marked most of the parts, but not all. As you can imagine, I'm running into some problems.
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to route the transmission oil cooler lines and where the brackets that hold them fit. The second problem is where to attach the bracket that holds the auto transmission kick-down cable. The bracket has to be bolted in somewhere just below the carb where the cable connects to the rotary shaft of the accelerator linkage,and it should be obvious, but it's not. There is just not a lot of information out there about the auto transmission and it's components.
    So if there are any folks out there that are familiar with the 2002A, I would REALLY appreciate some pictures, diagrams or anything that would help me install these items properly.
    I will also have many parts left over from my '76 parts car, including a good engine and 4-speed manual tranny, complete drive train, and more.
    Thanks for any help -

Mike B.

MGarrison

Hit up 2002faq.com; also, email Rob Siegel & Mike Self - I _presume_ they receive and would respond to their Roundel email addresses. If you don't have any luck via 2002faq, or no email reply, report back here, I'll see what I could do to get you connected to them for answers or reference. Oh, ya - look up Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent, I think he's listed in the club's Technical Service Adviser's list. Somebody at The Werk Shop might know something for ya also.

Crossbow37

Crossbow37

Thank you! I will follow up on your comments.
    Mike B

Crossbow37

OK, so I finally got in touch with Carl at La Jolla, and he told me that the kick-down bracket actually bolts to the block using the same holes that the left motor mount uses! What a pain that was because of the limited space to work in. With the bracket mounted over the motor mount, you can't get the starter in or out without removing everything attached or close to the underside of the intake manifold.

Still working on the transmission oil cooler hoses.

I am now considering swapping the auto tranny for a 4-speed. Looking for specific instructions on how to do that, including a parts list. Anybody know of a written guide?

MGarrison

Not offhand, but 2002's are hardly what I'm most familiar with - if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might want to look into swapping in an E21 5-spd instead of the 4-spd. Try a search on 2002faq.com for starters, & google, see what comes up.

Crossbow37

I'm making slow but steady progress on my '76 2002A. Finally got the oil cooler hoses installed correctly. After some tedious electrical troubleshooting I have the engine turning over normally, just need to get the timing and the carb adjusted and it should run!
    So I'm moving on to cosmetics, and I need to recondition the bumpers. They are not dented or damaged other than some surface scratches and pitting. Can anyone confirm that the bumpers on a '76 US model 2002 are aluminum? They're not steel because they aren't magnetic, and they are not heavy enough to be Stainless. I'm looking for someone who can re-plate and polish them back to original condition. Everyone in my area either does not work with aluminum or doesn't have tanks big enough for a 5-foot bumper. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MGarrison

charlson89

Glad the repairs and project is going well. Can't say I know if they are aluminum or not my assumption would be they are. Not sure who could restore those either. Garrison has pointed you in the best direction though to get those answers

Michael Salaniuk

The are aluminum and you could go to a truck stop that has aluminum polishers and have them glazed in a jiffy lol.