Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Question to all 2007 and 2008 Hardtop Convertibles

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bmwjimmy, Jun 22, 2008.

bmwjimmy guest

I got my new 335I convertible at the end of may. I have been noticing a stringy black rubbery substance on my car were the three pieces come together. I took it back to the dealer and show my sales person and he just said it was a lubricate, which doesn't make sense because it is rubber on rubber. If you open the top half way you can see the rubbery substance, especially when it is hot out. My question is has this happened to anyone else, and if so did it go away.

hbosch guest

Hardtop

Jimmy,

I ordered my 335i Hardtop in February 2007 and took delivery in June 2007. I now have just over 10,000 miles on the car (parked inside over the harsh MI winter) and have used the hard top extensively.

I am a clean-car freak and have done many half-way-top-up/down cleanups of all the components exposed to the elements. I have never noticed any unusual "substances" during my clean-ups.

Can you be more specific to where you are finding these substances and I will be even more careful in my next clean up. So far, I have not found any unusual residues or dirt build-ups anywhere but you may be even more meticulous than I am ;)

What I did find is that my front fenders have come a little apart (loosened) from the hood and I can actually by hand, push them into their design position which I am sure was not intended :eek:

bmwjimmy guest

pictures of the rubbery substance

I took a few pictures of my car and also of the rubbery substance on the rubber seal and also on the paint. See attached photos

hbosch guest

Goo!

I assume the 1st picture is the one that shows this the best, even-though it is still a little vague. It is not something I have encountered on my vehicle. Very strange indeed. Well, it has to come from somewhere and except if you are driving funny roads :))), it has to come from the car somewhere.

I really would not take an excuse from the dealer (oh, it is normal and is part of the lubrication for your top!!). It is coming from a source on the car and they need to figure out where it is coming from.

Good Luck with this and keep us up to date. I am really intrigued!

ripster guest

Jimmy, I had the same thing with my recently returned "lemon" see my post in the forum. Yes that is a lubircant of some sort. I don't know about your climate conditions, but here in south Florida, the temp, makes everything soft, (well, almost everything, ;lol) I have noticed a stringy, rubbery, substance on and around the joints of the top, I believe when raising and lowering, the "lubricant" or rubber seals or whatever you want to refer to it as... Anyway, I believe it is somewhat like, (forgive the anology) salt water taffy, in that it pulls apart the same way the taffy is made. Although annoying, I find that it cleans you rather easily when I wash the car. Just took possession of my replacement and will be curious if it does the same thing.

left lanes rule.

R

bmwjimmy guest

Thanks for letting me know I wasn't going crazy

ripster, thanks for letting me know that it wasn't just me that it happened to, and that was a perfect analogy saying it is like taffy. Since my last post on this topic all the lubricant must have worked it's way out or into where it should go, because I haven't had another sighting again :). It does get hot up hear in the summer and we did have some hot days after I got my car. For the most part I keep the top in the down position, except when I am at work. When I go home I pull it in the garage and just leave the top down all night.