Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1996 328i car jerks forward when applying brakes.

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by joed330i, Feb 2, 2016.

joed330i

When brakes are applied the car seem to jerk forward. Control arms and bushings have been replaced.

MGarrison

Can you describe in a bit more detail? What happens and exactly when, such as what happens if you brake lightly, or is it once you've stopped, is it more or less depending on how hard you stop, does it happen if you brake while turning, etc.

joed330i

Apply brakes, car stops, then moves forward a bit. Could be a very soft stop. Happens intermittently, but not when brakes are applied during turning.

MGarrison

Our resident tech Charlson89 might have some ideas - year & model, auto or stick?

joed330i

1996 328i, sedan, 5 speed, 180K miles

MGarrison

Hmm.. well with a manual, if you have the clutch pedal fully depressed & it's doing its job and has the drivetrain completely disengaged from the engine, if you're stopped on level ground, taking your foot off the brake, you shouldn't move. Clutch system is pretty straightforward - check the clutch master & slave and lines for any leaking. Not sure that they had them, but if you find your E36 has a clutch delay valve, I'd remove it (but that wouldn't cause the issue you describe). My guess is you have a failing slave, &/or clutch master. Given the age and mileage, if you have to replace either or both, I'd replace all flexible lines while at it. Other thought, maybe an issue with the throwout bearing.

charlson89

So are you at a complete stop with your foot on the brake and the wheels move forward? Or do the wheels not move but the vehicles chassis feels like it is still moving? If that makes sense.