Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

suspension problems

Discussion in 'E24 M6 (1987-1998)' started by m6guy, Jun 22, 2008.

m6guy guest

The self leveling suspension is not working to raise the rear of my car. Can the existing suspension be repaired, or is it recommended that the whole suspension be replaced?

Eric Reed guest

Not sure if it's the same type of system or not, but I recently replaced the air bags on my e39 wagon. One side had started to leakdown. Once I replaced the bags all was normal again. Replacing them wasn't very difficult. If you think the bags are fine, can you hear the air pump running trying to fill your air bags?

Again, the 2 systems may be totally different. My M635 has the regular strut/spring setup in the rear so I don't have any experience with what is on your car.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Eric

dodint guest

The SLS in the e24/e28 was a hydraulic system, not an air system.

It may be as simple as needing to replace the actuators, or the whole pump could be shot. There is a lot of variables.

I'm currently, against my desire, converting to a traditional system until I can afford to redo the hydraulic system properly.

Eric Reed guest

Whoops. Learn something new every day.

m6guy, let us know how your suspension woes turned out.

dodint, thanks for the explination. Sounds like it can get pricey to redo the hydraulic system. Good luck on your conversion. I have been happy with the ride on my car. In some ways I have found it a better ride than my e39, which I was surprised at. What springs and struts are you planning on using? I've got Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. I am very happy with that combo.

Eric

dodint guest

I am going with Bilstein Sport struts and M Technic coils. Unfortunately I've been backordered on the coils for over 10 weeks now.

My hydraulic system was bone dry when I bought the M6 so any number of components are likely shot. I'm going to redo the system from the ground up with some of my deployment nest egg.

I've heard the traditional setup works nicely in the M6 so at least I'll be comfortable in the meantime.

Eric Reed guest

I'm not sure what the part number is for the Eibach springs I have, but if you are interested I can crawl under there and see if i can locate one. Just let me know.

dodint guest

No thanks. I already paid for the springs so I'm not going through the hassle of changing now. It shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks for the offer, though. :)

Eric Reed guest

No problem. Let us know how you like the suspension setup after you are able to get everything on. Were you able to drive the car with the SLS working? If so, I'd love to hear a comparioson if you can.

Good luck getting everything installed.

Eric