Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Horrible grinding sound

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by joeyang1976, Jan 26, 2016.

joeyang1976 Joe308

I'm new to BMWCCA, so this issue might have already been raised.

I have a 2000 528i sedan (about 172,000 miles) - just today started hearing a horrible, metal-on-metal grinding sound whenever I drive (also hear it when shifting into reverse - car is an automatic btw).

I'll be making an appointment with the shop ASAP, but in the meantime, anyone might know what the issue might be? Not seeing any warning lights. Thanks!

MGarrison

Many possibilities without more detail, such as where it sounds like it's coming from - could be a dead torque converter/transmission issue (ugh, expensive repair - rebuilt trans & swap for my mom's E38 couple years ago was $5k, half labor, half for the trans. Could be diff, driveshaft, halfshafts, wheel bearings, engine issues, etc. etc. Hope that whatever it is, it's a les-expensive fix vs. worse alternatives!
    joeyang1976 likes this.

joeyang1976 Joe308

Thanks for the reply! Found out today that the backing plate that sits behind the front passenger brake busted off. I was told it's an easy fix, and thankfully not too expensive.

MGarrison

Might be a good idea for them to look at the others - if the reason it came loose/broke is due to rust, possible any of the others might be right behind. Glad it's something relatively minor!