Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 E92 6spd random stall

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by my335gift, Jan 11, 2016.

my335gift

2011 E92 6spd once warmed up car will randomly stall out at a full stop either in neutral or with clutch depressed, car immediately restarts. Problem started less then a year after purchase problem would occur mostly with A/C running, now noticing same problem with out A/C. Dealer can't find fault or duplicate..

MGarrison

Charlson's reply to your post on this last year, he hadn't heard of this happening then - we both replied to your post last month, here: https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?threads/car-stalls-with-a-c-on.19636/

Perhaps best to continue the discussion in that post -

Look up your car on realoem.com (use the last 7 of your VIN or production month/yr) - Charlson in the above post mentions a software issue with the N55 engine, would be helpful to confirm yours has the N55 and not N54. I think the N54 by late 2010 may only have been in the E92 335is & Z4, not sure though.

You've said the dealer's had no luck replicating the issue, Charlson asked about whether they found any error codes, any info on that, such as in the service records? Theoretically, such an event that you've been having should throw error codes that the system would store and be retrieved by your dealer for analysis - knowing any of those would help with diagnosis.

my335gift

definitely an N55 engine. According to the less then wonderful dealer they claim they don't see any error codes and can't find any service bulletins relating to the problem. Today I challenged them to consider stripping out the original software and replacing it with what ever the most recent version is, waiting to hear.

charlson89

I would tell them to look into SIB 120912 which has a DME software error and states at low speeds the engine can fluctuate up and down and also stall. I would also smoke the intake to insure the valve cover isn't leaking or cracked. Also should check crankcase pressure to ensure the crankcase pressure isn't causing the issue.

my335gift

Thanks for the input. Have forwarded your recommendations to the dealer, will see how they respond..

my335gift

Latest update . There have never been any fault codes stored in the computer. Based on the recommended SIB the dealer deleted the original 2010 factory installed software and installed the latest version. Amazingly the car stalled after the update at the dealership. A shop foreman at another dealership remembered a similar situation with the exact same model years ago, on a hunch they replaced the coils and never heard from the customer, so they assume the problem was solved. My dealer replaced my original ignition coils , car has not stalled. Fingers crossed..BMWNA covered 95% of the costs. Thanks for all the input

MGarrison

Hope that's it! Glad at least maybe you've finally made some headway. Not sure if N55's are similar to N54's in the following respect, but some googling might reveal some N55-specific info about it; seems to be generally recommended to replace plugs in the N54 @ 25k mi. intervals (or so; much earlier than what BMW calls for), which can help prevent premature coil failure & related bad-running issues later. Obviously, replacing plugs is cheaper than coils.

I wouldn't guess that's related to your stalling-since-new issue, but, since you now have new coils, depending on your mileage, considering plugs at the appropriate time might be worthwhile (on the assumption that's applicable to N55's as it is for N54's). I don't know how much or what differences there are to the ignition systems between the 2 engines, although I'd guess the main difference is the move from two turbos to the single twin-scroll, & probably little difference as to the ignition system. Charlson, comments?

charlson89

Ignition system from the N54 to the N55 really isn't that different, the ignition coils themselves are updated to hopefully help with the premature failures. Hopefully it stays fixed for you.