Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 dash buzz

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by ChestertheK, Jan 21, 2016.

ChestertheK

I have a peculiar noise coming from the instrument cluster. At about 4000 rpm, in first gear, i hear a buzzing sound. It only seams to happen in 1st gear and occasionally in 2nd at the same RPM. Anyone else had a similar noise/ What is it?

charlson89

Have you tried while the noise is happening pushing on the cluster and areas around it to see if the noise goes away?

ChestertheK

yes, still does it. even tried giving it a whap

charlson89

What if you remove the cluster does the noise go away?

ChestertheK

Loosened the cluster and reinstalled. No Buzzing. at least for now

charlson89

Well at least you found the source of the noise.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

No Buzz here, but this Bee gets noisy when the temperature goes down. Cold weathers brings out all sorts of creaks & groans from the dashboard. A few from the driver seat too. Funny how all the noises disappear when the top goes down. About to leave the security of the "Factory 4" behind. This has been the most dependable of the BMW's I've owned, even so, I signed up to another 36 months of extended Factory warranty. Couldn't Hurt...

u248

The photo here shows a Z4, the person asking about the noise is speaking about his Z3, which are from 1996 thru 2002. Z4s are newer, stiffer, many problems Z3s have are not present in the Z4s.