Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil indicator low after oil change

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by oconnej, Jan 18, 2016.

oconnej

I just changed the oil on my M3. I put in 8.2 liters and started the car. After it warmed up idling, my indicator showed that I needed to add 1 quart. I put in 600 cc more for a total of 8.8 liters added. There are no leaks under the car. I took it for a short run around town and it still indicated low. Today I took it for a 40 mile drive and it's still indicating low. I know I put 8.8 liters in so I don't want to add any more. Please help,with any suggestions.

charlson89

Have you let the vehicle sleep then rerun the measurement and see if it still says the same.

oconnej

Thanks for your reply. I let it sleep several days and it still reads low. I'm afraid to add more because I know there is 8.8 liters in there. I have driven less than 100 miles this way and my car never burns oil

charlson89

Does the vehicle come up right away and say low on oil or does it measure first?

oconnej

It measures like normal and doesn't read until the car is warm. If the car is warm it will show up right away but if cold it waits until it is up to operating temperature.

charlson89

Ok only thing I can think of you could do it check to make sure the wiring for the level sensor is not damaged. If it is not I would disconnect the negative on the battery overnight then start the car and allow to idle then raise the RPM to 1,500 for about 8 mins then go drive the vehicle for about 20 miles. This process should reset the oil level adaptions in a round about way.

oconnej

Thanks. I'll try that and post how it went.

oconnej

That worked, the level does not read full but it is in range, previously it read low. I still haven't added any oil because I put 8.8 liters in. In my experience it usually shows a normal level eventually. Thanks for your help.

charlson89

Great glad to hear it worked.