Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'E31 (1991-1997)' started by wbmunroe, Jan 16, 2016.

wbmunroe

Looking for a little insight here, as I have a thread going in the bimmerforums too.

On Thursday, my 8 threw me the CEL while leaving work, about 1-2 miles down the highway. When the CEL came on, there was an obvious loss of power, as if I were in "limp mode". I let off the gas, CEL turned off. Upon pressing the gas pedal to resume ~60mph, the CEL would return. This took place for 5-6 miles, then the CEL stayed on for the remainder of my 20 mile commute.

Car has sat since Thursday when this began.

Tonight, I go to do the stomp test, and receive 1444 on both banks. However, upon start up there is the usual amount of cold start smoke coming from tailpipes, except on the LEFT side (bank 7-12). After about 30 seconds, it seemed to "kick on" and both pipes were now producing the same exhaust flow. Yet, after another ~20 seconds of idle, the CEL cam back on, and the LEFT tailpipe was sputtering again.

Without codes, or a place to begin the search, I am at a loss. Obviously, she's not running right! From the other forum(s), the consensus may be the MAF. Wouldn't that throw a code? Wouldn't the CEL throw a code in general?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

charlson89

If you are having a running issue and think its a maf when the vehicle is running rough unplug the maf's and see if it starts running smooth again. Also have you pulled the faults?

wbmunroe

I have only done the stomp test, which did not produce a code other than 1444/2444. I started it today, unplugged Passenger side MAF, and vehicle ran like it's been running... sluggish with the CEL on. I reconnected the passenger MAF, and disconnected the driver side, and it stalled out. Restarted, and it ran for about 5 seconds before stalling out again. I believe it's the passenger MAF that's gone bad. Would that sound accurate?

wbmunroe

Swapped MAF's... problem seems to have followed. Looks like a single MAF (now driver side) needs to be replaced.

wbmunroe

Replaced BOTH MAF, now CEL is intermittent and sporadic. It comes on at idle, but goes off when I accelerate or let off the gas. Is there a "reset" to clear the code? Should I disconnect battery?

charlson89

What codes are you getting?

westfp

Was this problem resolved, did you have indi shop look at it??

MGarrison

westfp, welcome to the 'CCA forums! 3+ yr-old message thread here, don't be surprised if a reply from the o.p. is not forthcoming. When just starting on these forums, it's easiest to follow recent discussion threads by first clicking "Mark All Forums Read" and then click "What's New", which should then show a no unread posts message with a link to bring up all recent posts. The next time you're back, clicking "What's New" will show new posts since your last visit.