Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Homelink

Discussion in 'F32 (2013-present)' started by Bumlinger, Dec 27, 2015.

Bumlinger

Hi All, this is my 1st post. It's a minor one, but irritating to me anyway. I recently purchased a 2014 435i coupe, 17k on the clock and it's a beautiful machine in so many ways. My nagging problem is that I cannot get the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror to actually operate my garage door! I've watched all the videos on youtube. I've followed all the instructions in the owner's manual. I have talked with a human being at Genie as well. I also have a 2015 Toyota Highlander and syncing that vehicle to the garage door opener works as directed. Any tricks I need to know about? I know, I do have a separate fob style sending unit, but come on, the BMW should work, right? Help!

charlson89

Have you gone to homelink.com and entered your garage door type and vehicle and it will give you instructions on what to do to pair the system.

Bumlinger

Yes, I have. Unfortunately, there is no 4 series in the drop down available to select. If I select 3 series and 335i, they do not offer 2014, 2013 is the newest they go. So, the closest to my car is a 2013 335i and the programming instructions are the same procedures as I've already tried ad nauseum.

charlson89

What kind of garage door do you have? When you push the button after programming how does the LED flash?

Bumlinger

It works! Woo Hoo! Ok, here's the deal. I have a Genie Excellerator GDO model ISD1000, 2003 vintage. The only handheld transmitter I have is a little Genie key fob style I got at Home Depot, model number GM1-3. It has 1 main button and 2 other small buttons. The big button activates the GDO, the other two buttons don't do anything at my house as I only have 1 garage door, but can be programmed to operate other units. Using the standard programming and learning procedures nothing seemed to work. However, if one programs the rear view mirror homelink button with one or the other small buttons and then goes through the "learn" procedure on the motor head, the programmed homelink button will work!!!!! According to the Genie people, this is the procedure that must be followed on higher end european built motorcars such as BMW, Audi, etc.

My wife drives a 2015 Toyota Highlander and programming it's homelink with the large button on the handheld works as expected. Silly me, I assumed that it would be the same procedure with any other car, including my new BMW! Hopefully, this information might help others out there who are unsuccessful in getting their homelink to function properly. Happy New Year!

charlson89

Glad you got it figured out congrats and enjoy!

BimmerBrad

Desperately searching for my handheld garage door opener so I can accomplish the same. I obviously put it away someplace perfectly safe.