Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I think I BLEW the CLUTCH!

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by forbegos34, Oct 4, 2015.

forbegos34 guest

Last night I was backing up my E53 with a couple of dirt bikes in a trailer up a slope and when I finished I saw smoke come out of the engine with a plastic burning type odor. There were no warning lights on the dash so I thought it was all ok. ;)

This morning, starting up the car I noticed I couldn't put it into any gear, like the gearshift was blocked or something. Long story short, I couldn't drive out of my driveway this morning because I think I blew the clutch with my little backup stunt last night!:(

Any recommendations on the most cost effective way for repairs in this case?:confused:

Thank you!

charlson89

Sounds like the clutch got burned up from the extra load from the slope and trailer. You will have to do a complete clutch replacement with bearing and possible flywheel replacement depending on how bad the hot spotting is on the surface. This is a repair you only wanna do once so replace as much as you can while your in there.

forbegos34 guest

BMW Dealer just quoted me 2800 dollars!!!! :eek:

charlson89

Yah that is pricy but is pretty normal for the dealer with flywheel clutch and labor.

forbegos34 guest

Finally had it repaired a my local shop, got a clutch and flywheel (not original BMW) and it ended up costing about half... happy again with my manual transmission E53!