Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1999 528i Speedometer

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by csaavage, Jun 18, 2008.

csaavage guest

My speedometer on my 528i no longer works. The dealer tells me it will cost $1100.00 to replace. Does this price sound accurate? Any ideas on where I can get one for a better price? Also, how difficult woud it be to install? Thanks for any info supplied..

Hot 540 guest

speedometer

For that amount of money what are they doing? Is dealer replacing the the instrument cluster or replacing speedometer cable? I have a problem with my cluster (PIXEL) and the dealer is replacing the instrument cluster with a total cost of $612.00. BMW of America is paying %25 of the cost for part.

It is very easy to replace the whole cluster but the original milage on car has to be put in new cluster and from what I'm told it has to be done by computer that dealer has.

Hope this helps

csaavage guest

I'm not real sure what they are doing - guess I'm kind of new to their lingo. What I do know is that when I press on the gas pedal, the needle on the guage does not move at all. It stays at zero. They checked sensors in the wheels but that did not fix the problem. So they said the speedometer needed to be replaced. Maybe I should have someone look at the cable.

Hot 540 guest

Speedometer

If everything (gauges) works but the speedometer i would have that checked...Try finding a well known garage with good knowledge and experience with bmw's, that would be the way to go.....keep in mind if your speedometer does not work most likely the gauge to measure vehicle milage also is not working...hope you didnt purshase with this defect...If you did milage on car could be incorrect......:mad:

csaavage guest

No, I didn't purchase with the defect - thank goodness. Thanks for the suggestion of taking it to a garage. I'll try that.