Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cigarette lighter adapter

Discussion in 'E89 Z4 (2009-present)' started by awachsman, Jul 29, 2014.

awachsman

Unless I'm mistaken, the E89 comes stock with only one cigarette lighter socket, and that one is located in the center console. The lip of the console itself has a slight depression where the thinnest of wires can exit without impeding the console cover's closing. I'd like to run at least two devices, both of them needing power from the cigarette lighter socket but most splitters seem to have a cable which is too thick to pass under the console's cover. Has anyone dealt with this problem and if so, what was your solution?

MGarrison

See post #18 here (http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669250), which indicates you may have a 2nd power outlet, similar to my E92 coupe and some other BMW's. It's difficult to see from the driver's side, but if you stick your head down in the passenger footwell and look up, to the left of the underside of the glovebox area, if it's there, you'll spot the opening of a vertically inset power socket.

This thread has some pics of it in a 3-series, scroll down & look at threads 16-18 (thread # is top right of posts)
    www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488426

If you don't have a second power plug, there's this approach, although personally, I would want it wired up in addition to the existing lighter plug, instead of swapping them, and you'd have to figure that wiring out yourself, apparently.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=01&Product_Code=E8xPowerKit

charlson89

Ditto what he said above about the second lighter.

awachsman

Thanks, both of you - a quick and contorted squeeze into the underside of the areas surrounding the glovebox in the passenger area disclosed nothing but I'll take a closer look.

Reconis

I had a local audio shop install USB and DC outlets in the empty I-Drive enclosure on the dash.

surfwooder

I found the second 12v outlet just under the glove box to the left in the passenger foot well. What luck!