Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Squeaky Driver Seat

Discussion in 'F10/F11 (2010-2017)' started by leland, Sep 3, 2015.

leland

2013 535i MSport auto w/21K miles. The driver seat developed a bad squeak. I've had it back to local dealer three times and the squeak comes back within a few days after getting the car back. Anyone else had this issue?
    Thanks,

charlson89

Is it only when using the the bolsters?

leland

It seems to be coming from an area low in the seat. Possible the frame to floor pan area. It's now intermittent.

charlson89

How are you moving the seat the get the squeak? Or does the seat not have to be moved?

leland

It is intermittent. But, if I push against the dead pedal it will usually squeak. Then, sometimes it will when I first get in the car.

Ken.S.330

Does it only squeak when you are wearing your leather pants? :D Sorry, I couldn't help the smart-ass comment.
    charlson89 likes this.

charlson89

Have you taken it to the dealer yet and shown the technician the noise?

leland

Yes, it's been in three times and it's fixed for a couple of days, but the squeak returns. Fourth appointment is scheduled for next week. The last time they said it stopped when they moved the seat to a different position - really??. The squeak returned within two days. Keeping my fingers crossed that 4 is the lucky one. I am open to any suggestions.
    No - no leather pants LOL

MGarrison

Ok - so, you can make it squeak when the car's sitting still, yes? That's a good thing, because that should allow you to make it repeatable. If you can figure out what to do to make it squeak repeatably and consistently, then that should allow for some narrowing of the source of the squeak or noise & hopefully facilitate a solution. Every time it squeaks, try to mentally note exactly what was going on when it happens, including when driving. If you can identify any scenario where it never seems to squeak, that might also be helpful. There are a lot of parts to seats, squeaks can be hard to isolate due to many, many potential variables, although that's stating the obvious. I hope it can get figured out and resolved, since such things can be truly annoying.

leland

That's exactly what has me concerned. The first three times it went to the dealer it squeaked every time I sat on it or moved around, particularly when starting from a stop and making a turn. Now, it's intermittent. I think it will squeak most of the time when I push on the dead peddle and sometimes when I move around. I agree, it's going to have to make a lot of noise in order to find the problem.
    Thanks,

leland

Took it in and was able to work with the technician since it was Sunday and they weren't busy. He said he moved some wires, must be a harness, that were between the seat and something else. The squeak was gone and we thought maybe there was actually a simple solution, but I was a little skeptical since the squeak sounded more like plastic to metal. Anyway, it's back but not as loud and not frequent. So, I'm waiting to see if it get worse. Still annoying and hard to explain to occasional passenger.
    The SM observed that I have the seat in a low position - - true, but should that matter? BTW - the squeak is there regardless of seat height.

charlson89

It shouldn't matter with the height I have had the trim around the seat switches cause noise against the leather that makes a squeaking noise.

leland

So, as I checking around the seat switches I found that by grabbing, not aggressively, the front left corner of the seat bottom and pulling up, it squeaks. I'll do more inspection when I have someone to help so I can look under the seat. If I can't find it, then I'll take it back - for the 5th time. Maybe we're narrowing in on the problem.
    Thanks.

MGarrison

Try pulling on it without sitting in the seat too - don't know if that would help diagnose, but might indicate if weight in the seat makes a difference.

leland

That's what I did while checking the seat control area to see if it was the problem. I decided to pull up on the left front corner of the seat, while standing outside the car, and the noise was there. Made an appointment and took to back to the dealer and demonstrated it for the SR yesterday. The SM called today to say they took seat out reassemble it, correct torque etc. but can't find the squeak. I asked if he pulled up on the corner as I demonstrated for SR and he didn't know what I was talking about. So, I'll know more tomorrow. This is the 5th time it's been in for this problem and it is intermitted but - it's a seat, not like shooting a missile to the moon;). Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for your input.

leland

Well, I took it back the 6th time and I THINK it's fixed. They replaced a part of the seat frame and some rivets. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

leland

6th time - I think it's fixed. WO shows they ordered a frame part and some rivets. It's been three or so weeks and the squeak has not returned. Thanks everyone that provided input for your help.

Ken.S.330

Cool. Something to be thankful for. ;)