Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2015 228i rear tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by hsimpson, Oct 12, 2015.

hsimpson

I am new to the forum and need advice on non-OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for my car. The car has the Track Package, M-brakes,etc. and came equipped with Michelin Super Sport tires. The car is used as a daily driver and for HPDE events.

I purchased two 245-35-18 Pilot Super Sport tires from a distributor and upon receipt of them found that the tires are approximately 1/2 inch wider than the originals and the water channels are 2 to 3 times wider than those on the original tires. Apparently these are not OEM Super Sport tires and do not have the "Star".

My question is: Are the handling characterists of the non-OEM tires significantly different and will the width difference be a clearance problem.

Thanks, Henry

charlson89

Welcome to the forums! Any time you change tires the handling of the vehicle is effected this depends on the tire. The super sport tires are great for increasing the stock handling and traction. The wider the tires will also help with handling and traction to a point. If the tire is to wide for the rim then the sidewalls will have extra flex and loose handling from this. As for the clearance issue I'm not sure about the fitment have not tried on a 2 series to see how much wider you can fit. What is your current size of tires?

hsimpson

Thanks for the reply.

The original tires and the ones I purchased are labeled 245-35-18.

hankolerd

That does seem odd. Perhaps Michelin changed the tire between two production years? I would talk to your local BMW dealer, or give Michelin customer service a call.