Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Refurbished Style 5

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by BRKist528, Feb 26, 2013.

BRKist528 KissKiss

I've been working on a set of Style 5, 17" wheels. I've come to the potion of the restoration where I either 1) polish the lip of wheel as needed or 2) apply a clear coat to protect the lip from the elements. Keeping in mind the style 5's will only be used as a summer wheel and tire. If I go with the second choice, what would be involved with a clear coat on a polished lip?

MGarrison

With the proviso that I haven't painted any wheels and am not a wheel painting expert, my thought would be that I'd wonder why it's any different than painting anything else. If you have the lip polished and cleaned, then I'd assume you'd prep it per the paint/clearcoat directions to make sure the clearcoat will adhere to the wheel or whatever the clearcoat requires. I'd assume you'd mask off what you don't want clear coated, and spray/apply the clear per directions. It seems plausible that if the wheels are painted but for the lips, the entire wheel could be clear coated with satisfactory results if done correctly and properly, with the clear protecting the polished lip as well as the rest of the wheel. I'd think it would be a good idea to clear coat the lips, just to lessen the chance of the newly-shined lips getting etched by brake pad dust, other damage, etc. - and, I'd assume the wheels originally were completely clear coated.

My 2¢, anyway -

BRKist528 KissKiss

Thank you for the reply. I agree the clear coat would be ideal considering the end goal would be protection and not necessarily a "shine" finish. My concern is whether or not polished metal, in this case aluminum, will not allow a clear coat to adhere to the surface of the metal. I've spent the last month restoring this poor set of wheels and would not like them to be destroyed in 1 week of driving. I do appreciate the thought.

Cheers,

Bill

BRKist528 KissKiss

Here is an update to the wheels. I simply went with an aluminum polish on the lip of the wheels. This picture was taken right after mounting and balance, prior to washing the car and wheels.

Cheers,

Bill

Attached Files:

MrsBee likes this.

MGarrison

Them's some nice lookin' wheels ;) :)

The Real Flycaper e12 e34 e36x2 e39

looks great, I also have polished lips and have been running them 2 years without problem but I would be weary if were in a place with snow.