Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

08 335i won't start

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by csaavage, Jun 13, 2008.

csaavage guest

My car is only 3 months old. Since I had a bad rear tire replaced last Saturday, the car, at times, will not start. I press the brake then the start button. It acts like it wants to start but doesn't. It has done this to me three times this week. Anyone have any ideas about what's going on with the car?

hbosch guest

Go back to the dealer!

Dear Friend,

This is very unusual. You really should take it back to your dealer ASAP!!

Good luck!

csaavage guest

I've got an 8:00 AM appt. Just hope it starts to get it there....

David1

If it's a long crank before it starts, it's a bad high presure fuel pump. Mine has just started doing this. All of my friends 335's have had to have this pump changed. Half from long cranks and the others needed a tow in to the dealer. It is a common repair now for the 335. The tire issue is just coincidence.

HoustonScott guest

Check to see if the key logo comes on when you try to start. If it does its your steering lock. My guess is that you have to move the steering wheel to one side or the other to unlock it and the engine will start. When you park try and leave the wheels straight and you will not have any more issues.

Scott

csaavage guest

Well, here's the latest on my issue. Car has been in the shop since Saturday. By the way, it wouldn't start Saturday morning so I had to have it towed to the dealer. It is now Wednesday and the car has started each time the technician has pressed the button. I insisted the car did not start on a total of six occassions. I suggested they drive the car to see if the issue surfaces since it seems to happen to me after I have driven it. Don't know if that will help but we will see.

David1

It's the high pressure fuel pump. Mine is being replaced today for long cranks/hard starting and sometimes it's fine. All of my friends with 335's have had this pump replaced and there are many symptoms for when this pump goes bad or week. The dealers stock this pump since so many of them are failing. Have your dealer open a PUMA case.

csaavage guest

Dealer is still saying car is starting with no problem. What is a PUMA case? How were you able to convince the dealer of a problem or did yours actually not start for them?

David1

Puma is when they get BMW tech involved. They have heard my long crank, but car has no codes since it's not bad enough yet. Really don't need to convince them since they have done a lot of fuel pumps on the 335's.

csaavage guest

Thanks for the info. Mine also revealed no codes to the dealer. But just a few minutes ago, I think I experienced the "long crank" for the first time. Started fine this morning but five hours later, started with the long crank. Just want I needed for lunch...

David1

BMW would not authorise the pump after checking everything from water and ethanol content in the fuel and pressures. BMW wanted to verify the long crank while hooked up to home office. The tech even told them he had a hard start. So after 3 days of testing, can is running fine. BMW said the car either has to be towed in or have a limp code set for low fuel pressure (now thats customer service). The dealer was great though.

David1

Well, I just had two 10 second long cranks this afternoon and still no limp code. Going to call the dealer in the morning to figure out next steps.

targuscat guest

I'm a volkswagen mechanic and we have the same problem with our 2.0 turbo FSI motors esp. the fuel pump control module Direct injected motors are great but require Diesel fuel pressure to operate :rolleyes:

csaavage guest

I had another long crank this morning. This is becoming a pain. I'm not sure, at any given time, if the car is going to start or not. It's gotten to the point that I'm almost afraid to turn the car off to put gas in it because it may not start again... Confidence level is going down.