Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Satellite radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Gina501, Jun 12, 2008.

Gina501 guest

Hello. I have an '06 325i that I first leased but now own. I want to add satellite radio but don't know if ti's worth the $900 price tag to have BMW get and install it.
    Can anyone who has it tell me if it is really worth the money?

Jonathan Spira guest

It's not worth it.

My own take on sat radio is that it's old media.

Spend $400-500 on the integrated iBus adapter retrofit and you'll have much more music and complete control over your content.

I listen to podcasts on my iPod far more than any radio source.

Gina501 guest

Forgive me for sounding ignorant but I am when it comes to this. I am assuming you mean the iPod adapter. My car has this and I do listen to my iPod but not a lot. There are some great stations on Sat radio which is why I think I may want it. But don't know about the high price tag.

Jonathan Spira guest

No worries - you don't sound ignorant - in fact, I didn't realize you had the iPod adapter.

If you really like Sirius content, then it's a very personal decision.

You could shop around and perhaps find the BMW Sirius module for less - or even on eBay used.

Or you could try using podcasts more and see if you find content you like via Podcast that you can take with you on your iPod.

Gina501 guest

I appreciate that Jonathan. I had never considered podcasts. Like I said I don't use the iPod much but that sounds like a good option. I will check more into that.

Jonathan Spira guest

The world of podcasts is so vast that I've barely scratched the surface.

Keep in mind that there are podcasts from many countries and in many languages. I listen every day to a morning comedy program from Ö3, an Austrian station. I figure I´m probably the only person listening to Ö3 on the Cross Island Parkway here in New York at that point. :cool:

az3579

There is soooooo much content for iPods that it's unbelievable. I found out that one of my favorite artists has a podcast and religiously releases a new episode every week about an hour long each! It's like downloading full albums for free! :D

Gina501 guest

Wow! Thanks. I didn't know any of this. I am going to check that out today. I appreciate it.

missmelyssa guest

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it either. That's just way too much money.
    I actually have a sirius radio and an iPhone.
    For now, the 2 separate components work fine for me.
    I'm still looking for a device/dock that will hold both tastefully.
    Not even sure if such a critter exists yet.