Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dealer programming a 335i

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Lori S, Jun 11, 2008.

Lori S guest

There are a few things I am not able to program and my 335i.
    One, is the little red thing under the rear view mirror.
    The dealer will program that to blink when the car is locked.

Can someone please tell me what else can the dealer program that I can't.
    I have asked quite a few times at the dealership and it seems that no one there knows.

But if I ask if something, like the little red thing, can be done they say, yes.:eek:

David1

They can not make the clown nose blink on the 335. You have to add the alarm and then have the system activated. It could be done on the older 330.

kkratoch

So they could make mine blink without the alarm install? 06 330i

David1

My buds 330 does with no alarm. There is some kind of work around for not having the alarm. We have tried everything for my 335. There is a physical hardware difference on the 335. My 07 x3 blinks, but it to has the older harware.

kkratoch

Thanks. I will have to ask my dealer about that.

Lori S guest

Long post sorry.

On my 2004 330i, I asked the dealer to make the headlights blink when I turned the car on and off. As a bonus the little red bulb started to blink under the rear view mirror when I locked the car.

That said, when I ordered the 335i, I was VERY specific about wanting that red bulb to blink as it comforts me to see it blink. I asked the service people and the salesman and all said "no problem."
    I have never seen it in writing and having it blink on the 330 was a surprise so I wanted to know what other features could be programmed that I didn't know about. The service manager said he needed to talk to the shop foreman and to call back the next day with my fax number and he would fax me what else is available. When I called the next day he said it was no problem to get the light to blink. He DID NOT however answer my question as to what else can be programmed, he did not fax me anything although I did leave my fax number and I have no idea if he actually spoke to the shop foreman. The car was at the dealer so they could start on it first thing yesterday morning. I also had it polycoated. Late yesterday I got a call saying that the light could only be made to blink if an alarm was installed but the polycoat was done.

I had a rental car that the dealer provided and I was so angry that I chose not to go pick up my car last night. I needed to think about how to deal with this.:eek:

Fast Forward 24 hours and I am now a happy camper. The Dealership, Sonnen BMW, made good on their word. Since everyone I spoke to at the dealership told me the car could be programmed to have the light blink and no one knew that it didn't work on the 335i, the sales manager worked with the parts department and the service department and agreed to make my light blink by installing an alarm for me. It was a lesson for all. I by no means blame them as I have found over the years that there is quite a bit of info that either BMW is not providing to the dealers or that they are just not getting.

I must say as far as sales managers go, Sonnen BMW has one that is terrific. I'm not only saying that because he took care of me but I have seen him work with his sales people as well as bend over, so to speak, to take really good care of a customer. That's pretty rare these days. :)

VertigoFlyer guest

I have a different take on the issue.

We just bought a 2008 335xi that we passionately LOVE!!

But I was quite stunned that a $50+k car did NOT come with an alarm as STANDARD equipment. I mean really I can go buy any number of lessor cars that WILL come with an alarm as standard equipment. This is one of my very few nits with BMW!

When we bought the car a couple weeks ago we orginally opted to not have the alarm added in. After taking the car home and letting it all sink in (read driving the car over hill n dale and having a blast!) we decided not having an alarm wasn't gonna cut it so we called the dealership to get it installed at the same time that the Sat Radio gets installed. That happens next week. I've been a bit worried about parking it without an alarm. I'll feel better next week!!

The below image was taken the evening we drove the car home. My wife is all smiles isn't she!?

[IMG]

targuscat guest

Lookin good congrats...........................:D

targuscat guest

If you get snow I would be carful of that tire combo you have not rec for snow or ice, I love that wheel package too but we get snow and ice here in d.c. area good luck:D

unagi1 guest

Glad you got everything figured out, but that seems to be the way with the 3-series. You have to fight tooth and nail to get anything (carpets, alarm, wheel locks) -- all stuff that should come standard. Extreme ala carte :eek:

Lori S guest

Makes me feel like the bastard child.
    I agree, these things should be standard.

Is there anything that can be programmed into the 335i?

hbosch guest

Brand New 335!

Hey VertigoFlyer,

Indeed, I have to agree, your wheel package is VERY NICE!! Gorgeous car! Hope you guys enjoy it a lot as I am sure you will.

Once you have had it for a few months and you've gotten used to it, if you can spend the extra $2,300, defintely try the Dinan Software upgrade, you will not believe the fun you'll get out of it. I've now had it for a week after 10,000 miles and I tell you what.... It is awesome.:D

VertigoFlyer guest

Speaking of wheel locks does BMW sell them and if so are they worth the BMW "premium"?

unagi1 guest

unagi1 guest

Looks like the Item # is 36136764057, you can get them for $20

ripster guest

19 inches

hey flyer, those are 18's on that beautiful ride, are they not? Has anyone been able to get the 19's from the factory? My lemon is being replaced, the sales manager asked what I would like to change, ( i have an 08, 335 conv. all options except cold weather package and nav) I made two changes, coral red interior, and 19 factory wheels.($1000 add on) He said know problem, the car was ordered, built and is on the waves to the U.S. of A.....but.... along the way, the manager was told that those precious 19's can't be done, factory says so!! Bummmer for thy Beemer....has anyone ordered the 19's with success?

hangin in the left lane

R

VertigoFlyer guest

Hey Ripster yes those are 18" wheels. Bummer about your lemon!! And bummer you couldn't get your 19" wheels. But trust me you WILL LOVE your 335 once you get it!!!

unagi1 guest

I've got 19"s on mine from the factory, no problem. My car is an 3/08 prod 335i

ripster guest

quick correction

I already own,(lease) a 335 drop top, and love it, I do. Unfortunately BMW could not fix a simple? (or so I would have imagined) problem. But, to give them the benefit, they admitted that the car would be classified as a lemon in my state. The dealer was completely proactive, and professional in the handleing of this so called "lemon" ,ergo, the new car and new interior and sadly no 19's unless I am pleasently suprised at delivery...I guess no one else has had experience with the 19's???

P.S. I love the car inspite of it's flaws, if BMWNA would have made me an offer to keep the car as it was, I may have been so inclined, but, bless there hearts, they decided a lemon was the order of the day.....still driving and loving the feel of this car, inspite of the unrepairable idiosyncrasies....Patiently (NOT) awaiting my new car to get over its seasickness from the voyage across the pond....one day soon....I can only hope.

left lanes only.
    R

ripster guest

unagi 1

sweet wheels indeed, that appears to be a coup in your pic...I wonder if there is a difference between coup and convert. when did you order yours? And once agian, jealous is in my heart, very sweet ride....

left lane,
    R