Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New tires for a 2002 M5

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mksandak, Jun 10, 2008.

mksandak guest

Anyone have suggestions for new tires for a 2002 M5?

I'm looking to replace the original rubber on my 2002 M5. I'd like to put on a set of hi-perf all-seasons. My "finalists" are either Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS's or Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. Anyone heard anything good, bad, or indifferent about these tires? I've owned both brands in the past on other vehicles with no problems. However, I have no experience with these particular models. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Mitch Sandak
    Westfield, New Jersey

368193 guest

hopefully this will help you decide on tires for your m5

I have had 3 different sets of tires on my 99 540i 6 speed, Dunlop SP Sport 9000, BFG Gforce TA, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the 2 1/2 years of ownership (this car eats rear tires, as I am sure you are aware!). This spring I put 18" M parallel wheels on it in M5 sizes and offsets, and I installed Bridgestone re760 sport tires (245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear, just like yours stock)......what an amazing tire. The difference in the ride quality and handling are immediately noticeable. It definitely transformed the car! I live in Mass and only use the car during the summer (you may do the same in Jersey), so I opted for the summer only re760 as opposed to the all season re960. The price difference is also quite significant between those two, currently on Tire Rack the re760 is $161 ea for the front, and $187 each for the rear, whereas the re960 is $210 ea front, $242 ea rear. Speaking of Tire Rack, go to their web site if you havent already and check out the reviews on the tires you are interested in, you can compare them back to back and get real world customer feedback on them also. I am in the tire business, but I dont work for Tire rack so I am unbiased, but I can tell you the the Bridgestone is one helluva tire that you wont regret buying for a second! Hope this was helpful....Patrick

mksandak guest

Patrick, thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

368193 guest

You are very welcome, enjoy that awesome m5!!