Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 M3 vs. M3 CSL Tire Sizes

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BMW M Power, Jun 9, 2008.

BMW M Power

Has anyone tried the European M3 CSL tire sizes when replacing tires on your E46 M3? The normal sizes are 225 front and 255 rear. On the Euro M3 CSL, the tire sizes are 235-35-19 front and 265-30-19 on the rear. I have always felt that the widths of the tires on our cars with the optional 19" wheels, particularly on the front, seemed too narrow for the 19" forged rims. It seems BMW agreed when you look at the sizes of the tires on the E92 M3. Anybody else agree?

EuroWerkz1

Yes

Yes, it can be done I have done it several times on customers cars and I also agree it is a more proper fitment. However to get the best chassis balance and most rubber on the road the trick set-up is 265/35/18 tires all around with 10mmm spacers in the rear to reset the track width differential, plus it looks awesome!

BMW M Power

So, for a street-bound E46 M3, would the Euro CSL M3 sizes be best? What do you think of the E92 M3 sizes for the E46 M3, because they are even different yet?

Mzeed

m3 19" tire size

people are putting 10mm more than the euro size on all 4 corners

JeST guest

I agree but for OP's case 19's and daily driving duties I'd go with the 235/265 setup. Unless you want the most rubber contact to ground go with 245/275.

ManOfSteel

Big rubber!

I have a 2006 ///M3 Competition package. The stock tires (f:225/40/19 r:255/35/19) look ridiculous. Seriously, it looks like they barely stretch to fit over the rim width. I wrote Mike Miller and he indicated that front and back tires must stay within a half inch diameter of each other. Additionally, you can find the same rims from places like turnermotorsports with an indicated tire size of f:235-245/35/17 r:275-285/30/19. Which will also fly if you go on a site like the tire rack and get the specs of the tires (front rim is 8', rear is 9.5').

I went one better. I just threw new boots on my car: Yokohama Advan Sports f:255/35/19 r:275/30/19. But the critical point here is that I crammed a 255 under the front, that is 30 mm (over an inch) up from stock size of 225. Tire fitment guides say the 255 is for a 8.5 inch wheel, but it fits on the stock rim just fine (but it took two guys on the tire machine to mount it and only have someone you trust mount them!). I haven't really pushed it yet, but understeer feels better and the car feels more solid on the road. But, no rubbing! (side note: remember the real CSL wheels are wider, 8.5" if memory serves so it makes sense that you could cram in a bigger tire). I can't wait to get it on the track to see how it handles now. Do note, I put the stock rear tire size on the front... so if you were really after balance, you could put 255/35/19's on all the corners. But true balance comes from new 18" non staggered wheels all the way round...but I just payed enough for tires alone.

Drive happy!