Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Show them off!

Discussion in 'E34 M5 (1991-1993)' started by 91e34m5, Mar 6, 2008.

gtopaul

I have the Bilstein Tourings on my Touring and they ride sort of like the factory BOGE but don't bottom out. You right the M5 rides pretty stiff already. Prior owner disabled the SLS and installed new rear springs with Bilstein HDs. When I first got the car I walked around it and pushed down at each corner. The back was atypically Bilstein stiff but the front wasn't. Went through his paperwork and he only had the back done and not the front. ??? I just ordered a front set of HDs from BavAuto so will do them the same time as the other front end parts. Former doctor owner loved his car but was mechanically challenged methinks.:rolleyes:

DoubleEvilMPower guest

Tell me about it :D!!!

Mines finally arrived and I took a few pics. I'll do a better photo shoot soon together with my e30 M3. Take a look.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

DoubleEvilMPower guest

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

connorb850

DoubleEvil,

Car looks mint, congrats! Was that the one with rear bucket seats at a dealer in WA? I saw it advertised online, very clean car.

gtopaul

Wow, great looking car! A really clean example. Has it been lowered a bit? I wish my 93 had the Ellipsoid headlights because the light dispersion is much better. I'm hoping to find a set of Euro smileys to install soon.

We're still learning about our car. Like why does it make a strange noise when first started on cool mornings. Guess it has some sort of air pump which cycles for 90 seconds when first started. The car came with the keyless entry (security) system but was missing the remotes. Got one off Ebay and just finished programming it and it works great. We completely rebuilt the front end this week and installed the new Bilstein HDs. The old strut inserts were a mess and came apart when being removed. Nice and firm now though. I still have too much play in the steering so will try and adjust the steering box tomorrow. Got the new blower resistor in and that's working fine. Also got some good oil with a high zinc level to protect the engine and changed the spark plugs, filters, and distributor cap and rotor. The cap looked original and had a lot of corrosion on the terminals. That one change made a definite difference in smoothness when swapped out.
    I also installed all new door and fender side trim today. Made sure I cleaned and waxed before installing the new stuff. Lastly I bought back the set of euro staggered T-stars I sold a few months ago and installed them with some new Yokohama's. Here's the latest pic.

[IMG]

DoubleEvilMPower guest

Thanks so much, yes it is the one from WA. I also saw that ad and just fell in love with it. I called that same day and luckily it was still available. I flew out there for a day to test drive it and check it out in person. The car needs nothing, the only thing that is making me scratch my head is why it doesn't have the M-Technic bumpers :confused: I mean the car is clean and straight with no history of accidents and garage kept it's whole life. I actually spoke to the previous owner, he is a CCA member and a auto mechanics teacher in WA. He gave me a lot of info on the car and he also told me the bumpers were like that when he got the car. Anyway I plan to order them in the next few days, they're still available from BMW.

gtopaul:
    M5 is looking great, keep us posted on what else you do. As far as my car being lowered it's actually all stock. All my car has is a Dinan chip, other then that it's all stock. I also want to get the sport mirrors like yours has. Also what color did you paint the throwing star covers? Im planning to get staggered M-Parallels but I would like to mix a up a bit like yours too.

gtopaul

I bought the wheels already with painted centers. BMW uses three different colors on the bottom trim on M5s (black, gray, silver). On my Touring, I got the side panels and rear bumper off a wrecked 91 black M5 a guy was parting in Texas. I had the black painted Cashmere Beige to match the Touring and left the bottom color as is. The wheel centers match that pretty close. The Calypso lower trim is slightly darker than my Touring lower trim but the wheels still look sort of cool.;) I do have the paint codes for the lower trim if you need them.

It's interesting that someone changed the bumpers on your car, I didn't notice that initially. Usually that's an indicator that there was an accident at sometime and they didn't want to spring for the cost of the M pieces, which are way more expensive. However, I have seen cases where people, for one reason or another, want to change things for no real good reason and this might have been done just to suit someones personal taste. Strange but possible. If it was accident related it's usually just the front or back that get swapped out, not both. I can't tell from the pics but does it have the M side pieces?

I think the 18" M-Pars are my favorite wheel on the E34 M5. I wish the T-Stars were 18". I'm running staggered Z8 18" wheels on my Touring. 18" just look 'right' imho.

Paul

DoubleEvilMPower guest

Love the way your M5 is looking. Post some more pictures when you get a chance. I totally agree with you on the fact that both my bumpers were changed.... if it was an accident then it's usually one side. Im not too worried, I'll just order the new pieces. I got some info over at another M5 board and they told me to paint the lips 'sterlingsilber-met.' (244M) let me know if thats what you have. As for the side skirts they look the same as other M5 take a look at this closer up shot of my car:

[IMG]

I found this number on them 230375 and 230376 but I cant find those numbers on the ETK. :confused:
    Let me know what you think.

CR

gtopaul

The side panel part numbers end in 339 and 340 accoding to the ETK but yours look like the right ones. Numbers often change during the production lifespan. The paint codes are as follows:

Diamantschwarz (black) #181
    Sebringgrau (gray) #229
    Granitsilber (silver) #237

I used the gray on my Touring front bumper cover and it matched the original of the black rear bumper perfectly. Not sure if the black cars should have the silver or gray but it should be easy to find some online and ask. I think the gray is probably correct based upon my Touring back bumper cover. The front bumper cover retails for around $1100. I bought a new front cover and paid a lot less so there's room for negotiation or some price shopping between dealerships. Mine arrived in a really dusty box like it had been sitting on a shelf for years.

Here's a back shot of the M5 and also a shot of the Touring, it'll be getting fresh paint soon.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

gtopaul

Now I've Done It Again

I posted above a few months back about my sons Calypso Red 93. After going through the car making sure it would work for him as a daily driver, a funny thing happened. I actually sort of started to like it. It was growing on me the more I drove it. Since said son wouldn't sell it to me I set out looking for the right one for me. I didn't want a garage queen, I didn't want a highly modified car, I didn't want a large initial investment. I did want a car with a decent interior, presentable exterior, and I did want a good running car with some maintenance history. I found a 91 (02/90) M5 in Knoxville, TN advertised on Craigslist. Had the owner send me some detailed pictures, bought the car, and had it trucked down to me in December.

It's got 210k miles on it and runs very well. It actually had a lady driver for most of it's last 7 years. There are signs of a baby seat on the back seat leather. She has early MS and was having problems with operating the clutch so they decided to sell the car. I immediately changed the plugs, cap & rotor, oil and filters, and started replacing a few things that had been neglected. It had a set of Borbet aftermarket wheels on it when delivered so I immediately replaced those with my sons set of T-star take offs. I pulled the instrument cluster and replaced a few bulbs and removed the factory telephone and antenna. Yesterday I installed a new clutch, 02 sensor, fuel filter, and replaced all the bushings in the shifter. I have a complete front end kit ready to install hopefully next week. Also bought a 26mm front sway bar to put on at the same time.

After initially looking over the car after delivery I could see where it had signs of repaired damage around the left front strut housing. Prior owner wasn't really an enthusiast and didn't know anything about it. Rummaging through old paperwork I found the name of the previous owner to the guy I bought it from. Gave him a call. He bought the car with 16k miles on it and drove it until 130k miles. He told he went to look at the car at the dealership in Chicago and when he got there he was told a potential customer had just wrecked the car. It sounded like he went around a corner too fast and slid into a telephone pole with the left front. The former owner said he wasn't going to buy the car until everything was repaired properly and he took his own mechanic with him to make sure it was done correctly. It must have been done right because he bought the car and drove it until 130k miles when he traded it on a new 540i. looking closely at the bodywork I can see both front fenders have been replaced, the hood, and the drivers door all have DOTR replacement stickers on them. Good to know it was all done with factory parts. The car has no driving issues that were wreck related. The self leveling system is still working properly. I also purchased a set of Bilstein Sports for the front end just because I don't know how old the current shocks are, so since I'm replacing the other front end parts anyway......

The interior is ok. The back door panels are delaminating and the headliner is dropping. I've ordered a new BMW headliner and I purchased a used set of 95 540 leather insert door panels to replace the originals with. They appear to be a lighter gray so I might have to redye them. I want to redye the seats anyway because they show some age. The rear package shelf is a little purple looking because of sun damage and age. The replacement part is NLA from BMW so I guess I will get that recovered at some point.

The car has heated seats and CD changer that all work. I did replace the working original radio head unit with a used identical piece because the originals pixel display was inop. Also replaced the original OBC with a later unit.

I definitely have a project car but it gives me something to do. It is fun to drive.:rolleyes:

Paul

[IMG]
    [IMG]

91e34m5

You've got the fever.....the e34 M5 fever....once you get it....it's with you forever. Looks like you have a keeper....very nice. Let us know how you progess with the upgrades. You say you removed the factory cell phone. I have been looking for a factory original cell phone to install in mine. My 91 came with a dealer installed cell phone and has since been removed. Any chance we might be able to negotiate an exchange. I take mine to car shows and thought it would be neat to have a factory installed cell phone....don't intend to hook it up, so it doesn't have to work. Let me know.

Murray Crow
    91e34M5
    Tennessee

gtopaul

Unfortunately the actual phone was missing. I just removed the wiring and module from under the rear package shelf and tossed it.

My son is up in Memphis with his 93 and my car came from Knoxville so it looks like there are a few M5's in Tennessee.

Paul

91e34m5

Oh well....keep your eyes open if you come across an old factory cell phone. I guess most of them were trashed. Tennessee has its share of M5's.....I went to O'fest this past Fall in NY state. There were probably around 10 at the event. I was a great opportunity to compare and share with othe owners of e34 M5's. Don't get that opportunity very often. Keep us up to date with your new acquisition.

E34M5Calypso

Calypso E34 M5

Here is a shot of my E34 M5...hopefully got the pics in at a good resolution, this is my first post. Still trying to sort it all out, spend most of my time enjoying M cars.. My e34 has the factory fitted BMW cell phone (still works), heated seats, cd changer, sun roof,.....fantastic car.

91e34m5

Nice Ride....how long you had it? What have you done to it. Engine compartment looks great! If you ever decide to let the cell phone go...send me a note.....I've ben looking for one....I think they hit the trash can as soon as they are removed. Mine had one at one time and of course has been taken out.

E34M5Calypso

Calypso E34

Your E34 looks great, M cars definitely look good in black.

While the car is new to me I have known it for awhile. I found the car helping a friend (fellow BMW enthusiast) buy one. He has a 74 3.0 CS and was looking for either a E30 M3, E28 M5, or an E34 M5. When I found the Calypso Red car I sent it to him to check out, started thinking that I should buy it, then found out that he did. I told him then when it is time for it to move I wanted first rights, which I got.

Its a low mileage, highly optioned, original E34. The only change we did was to add the European spec (smiley) headlights. It joined my other "keepers" an E46 M3 (Carbon Black with Cinnamon Leather), and a 1960 Triumph TR3A fully restored. I think its ok to mention the Triumph on the forum as BMW purchased the rights to the marque with the intent to bring it back. Still waiting...

I have added a couple more pics, one of the motor on my E46, and a couple of the Triumph. I drive and show all three cars, I like to keep the motors clean. Really not hard if you stay on it.

E34M5Calypso

Calyso Red M5

I am new to the members forum so hopefully I am doing this right. In reading through the thread it sounded like you have a 93 Calypso Red E34 M5...but the picture wasn't there. If you have one post a photo...I do believe there were only 5, and I have one too.

john

gtopaul

Sorry for the late reply. Don't visit here much (been too busy working on the 91).:) Changed picture hosts after AOL gave up supporting pics. Here's a pic of the 93. We changed the wheels to the euro staggered setup. It has the self-leveling system bypassed and has Bilstein's on all four corners. This one has a black leather interior with black wood trim. I swapped out the original delaminating door panels for later 95 model 540 bunched leather black panels. Quite an improvement. Rebuilt the front end and installed a reman steering box. I have a new headliner ready to install as soon as the car comes for a visit and also a set of euro Hella smiley headlights. It's a daily driver for my son.

[IMG]

Magofo guest

Giddyup

1991 Brilliantrot w/Alpinas

funfunfer

Will look for a phone

I may have a phone in the box of spares in the garage, PO had removed the phone an installed a pair of cup holders, but the phone may still be around. Might be the weekend before I get to it.

Will we see you at O'Fest this year?