Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Advice? 335xi Coupe Slow Steering Ratio

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ghost34, Jun 9, 2008.

ghost34 guest

I just took delivery on a 335xi Coupe and realized the steering ratio is a lot slower than the 335i, but I didn't realize it during test drives. I did drive both back to back and didn't notice a difference until my first commute. I was told the 335xi has a little bit more play to deal with bad weather. That's great, but it killed the fun. It's a lot harder to weave in and out of traffic, you actually need to catch it during fast lane changes. I find this funny, because I own a 2004 X3 with the sport package and that steering is direct and very fast, why couldn't they do that on the coupe. So here is my question, how can I improve this? I'm switching from the 17" All Seasons to 19" Summer tires, but I don't see this making a huge improvement on steering. Any thoughts?

David1

I don't think the steering ratio is different. Sounds like you don't have the sport package and the 17" are very squirmy. Are they the Continentals? Also, you should not go to 19" on an XI unless you find a tire combo that stays within the BMW rotational specs/stagger front to rear.

ghost34 guest

Is that your white coupe in the pic, that's awesome. They look d#@n good in white. I wanted white, black leather, metal interior with nav, but I couldn't find it. So I got a silver one.

It is true, the steering ratio on the xi are slower. Saw it in Automobile back in April, they compared a STI, EVO and 335xi and they mentioned the slower ratio, I checked with BMW and they comfirmed it. Yes, I do have 17 Conti's and they suck. My lawn mower can take a turn with less chirp

I am taking your advice and not putting on 19's, the 19's would have zero sidewall. So I'm going to a 18's.

David1

Is the steering really that noticable? Also, that is my 335 with VMR wheels in 19" Here is the link:

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/
    Take a look and if you are interested in what they offer, give them a call and ask for TY and mention that Dave with the white 335 said to call.

David1

Is the steering really that noticable? Also, that is my 335 with VMR wheels in 19"

ghost34 guest

You don't notice it in corners or bends, but you will in a fast lane change. Esp compared to my X3, which darts very quickly. Oh well, at least I will have fun in the snow.

EuroWerkz1

Yes, the steering ratios are slower on the Xi versions of most BMW's. I think it has to do with two things. They have to move much more weight with the power steering, thus more ratio in the rack is needed. And the steering arm geometry is slightly different due to the 4x4 hardware and packaging restraints. Dealers should do a much better job of explaining the benefits and compromises of the Xi models. Still an awesome car though, enjoy it!

ghost34 guest

I do like the wheels they have, but I think I'm gonna do "Black Outs" and I didn't anything on their site. I got a line on a set, hopefully it will work out.

David1

They do have black and gunmetal. It is just hard to find on the site. I will painting mine gloss black since I like to change the look of my cars often and I am starting to like the dark look!