Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cluster/console lights not working

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by buzwell, Apr 11, 2014.

buzwell

After a car wash attendant pulled off the shift knob and tore loose one of the two wires that illuminate the M shift knob, the console/cluster lights would not work…in addition, the "lights-on" warning sound does not sound when I open the door with the headlights on. I have replaced the shift knob with a new one; replaced the head light switch with a new one--- the lights and warning sound still are not operable. I have checked all the fuses and all are fine. Any suggestions on what may be wrong here?? Thanks for your help!

charlson89

Do the headlights come on? Or is it just the interior lights that won't light up. Does the cluster gauges and LCD still work ok though?

buzwell

Hey charlson…all exterior lights are working (including headlights) and all the gauges are working properly…it's just that when the headlights are on none of the interior gauges are lighted...

charlson89

So is it just the cluster that doesn't light? Does the radio and climate control and heated seats light up normally?

buzwell

Cluster/console lights do not work…radio lights up…heated seats do not light up, climate control and all console lights to do not light up...

charlson89

I can't remember off the top of my head the wiring of that system I will have to look at a wiring map to refresh myself and get back to you.

BMWM

It is a simple fix. This happened to me and all I needed to do was to replace the dimmer for the console/cluster lights.