Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1998 740i - Ipod integration into DSP non-ibus system.

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by vk2006, Aug 5, 2015.

vk2006

Hello,

Is there way to integrate iPod into my BMW e38- 740i-1998 (prod. 07/97) with 6 disc CD-Changer + DSP that is NON-i-BUS. (pre-’99 set-up)

EXAMPLE PHOTOS: http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/6314532/1998-bmw-7-series/

I see a lot of posts that say that it is possible, but it looks like that there are many that miss out on the point that DSP equipped cars come with i-bus controlled CD-Changer (99-2001) or with older version, that are without i-bus to control the CD-Changer - ( before prod. date late-98). W/O i-bus situation makes it more complicated to simply integrated iPod connection to it, or even impossible as it seems. :)
    Is there a way in 2015 to accomplish this (without changing the whole audio system)? Back in 2003 - there was non, as I remember. 12 years later I decided to look back into it, to see if anything changed in the technology world. :)
    Please correct me if I am mistaken or missing anything. All your answers and advices are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

P.S. I am not looking into using "FM transmitters" or Tape-Adapters. Done all that in the last decade. :)

MGarrison

vk2006

Thank you for you suggestion. Bavsound don't have it for my exact setup. :( However, I have speakers and sub-woofer from them. Works and sounds great!

charlson89

Ok I have not personally done anything like this before but have read a couple things. One being and would have to double check but some of the vehicle in the late production that said they don't have a Ibus do actually have a bus line that could be tapped into. You will need a cd43 player and dsp adaptor with a dice kit. You will have to splice into the before mentioned bus since the bus does not run to the cd changer plug. The DSP amp should have this bus as well. Like I said not a hundred percent on all of this because I haven't done it before.

ChrisV

Ken.S.330 likes this.

vk2006

Hi guys,
    I just got to my iPod situation and tried to install/connect everything and ran into a couple of problems - as expected [IMG]

First of all, I got and installed iBUS radio unit (C43)- Everything works great except my old trunk CD Changer , which is expected behavior. After I removed the CD changer from the trunk, I found these 3 connections:

[IMG]

so to connect my GROM AUDIO setup (see image below) - I need to do some alterations or new wiring. Not sure what exactly and how exactly to do it. [IMG]

[IMG]

FROM THE CAR:

- BIG Black connector - what should I do with it?
    - small white connector (power and ground?) - what should I do with it?
    - small metal round connector is coaxial for DSP - this i can connect to DSP adapter on GROM

FROM THE GROM:

All I have to connect from the GROM side are:

- 3pin connector - Where does it connect on my car ? (I have nothing in my car that fits it)
    - 2 wires (black&red) that need to be connected to switched 12v power and ground - Do I connect/spice it to the wires of my cars "small white connector"? - or its wrong?

If anyone can give me some detailed ideas on my situation It will be greatly appreciated. I am stuck, So far it seems to me that I need new WIRING to the Radio unit. Hope its not the case [IMG]

Hope it all makes sense... Thank you in advance