Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

car start problem

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by chll69, Jun 5, 2008.

chll69 guest

hey today my car wouldnt start, it was turning over just fine just wouldnt hold it. i know its not the battery, alternator, or starter, or sparks(replaced 2 weeks ago)any ideas??? i was thinking fuel line maybe??

az3579

Do you know the operating condition of your fuel pump?

chll69 guest

no not specifically? should i just replace it or is there a way to know if its good or bad??

Bimmerdan

Fuel pump or fuel filter would be my first guess as well. Easiest way to see if the pump is running is to just listen to it. It's under the back seat so if you pull the bottom seat cushion up, you should be able to hear it when you turn the key on.

Fuel filter is another possibility but a little less likely that it would suddenly block up completely.

The other possibility is the crank position sensor (which car is it that's not starting and do you have a CEL on?).

madfronter guest

I would also check your ignition wires, though it could possibly be a problem with your fuel pump or filter. I had to replace my fuel pump two years ago. I got stuck at dunkin donuts.

AWuorinen

Check your fuel pump relay, Just a month ago my 88 325ix started acting up after driving10-15 minutes, it would start hesitating, and then finally stop running. After letting it sit for an hour or so, it would start right up. I changed the gas filter and it still happenend. My local shop said it may be a bad fuel pump relay. I checked out the relay and it was loose and a little corroded. I cleaned the terminals up and pushed it back in with a little WD40 type lubricant on it and the car has worked fine since.

Jeron guest

Verify fuel. Will it try with starter spray? Then replace your crank postion sensor.

chll69 guest

thanks for all the replies guys, ive been away so i just got them now. its for the e36 Bimmerdan, also what is the CEL? not sure exactly? could it be the ECM?? i will have the fuel pump, relay, wires, and sensor checked and maybe one of those will fix it. I will let everyone know. thanks again for the replies!!

Jeron guest

CEL = check engine light; AKA MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp plus many other names

Sure it could be the ECM but that is last in a good size list of things to check.

Even though the crank sensor is not cheap it is worth it buy one and check once you verify fuel. The crank sensor is the number one cause of phantom "no starts".