Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

moonroof problems

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 06red330i, Jul 19, 2015.

06red330i

I have a 2006 325i, Friday I opened my roof all the way to vent out the heat, but when I tried to close it, it stopped about 3-4 inches short of closing, I had to push the part of the button that normally would tilt the back up to get it to close all the way, but the back end wont rise to be even with the rest of the roof. I have tried to reinitialize the roof to no avail. Each time I open it, it will open all the way but does the quit thing short of closing and wont bring up the ass end. I also own a 2006 330i, so I took the switch assembly from the 330 and tried it on the 325 but it did the same I also put the 325 switch in the 330 and it worked, so its not the switch. I was going to do the same with the motors but couldn't find the right torx head to remove the motors and try that. Will be trying that tomorrow when I can get the correct torx head. Any one else have this happen and what did you find to be the problem. If nothing else I would just like to get the back end up flush with the roof.
    Bob

charlson89

Sound like the initialization is off on the sunroof. How are you doing the procedure to initialize the sunroof? I have had issues before with these needing to be deleted before reinitializing the sunroof. Of course this has to be done with the proper scan tool. Your not getting a image in the cluster in yellow of the sunroof are you?

06red330i

Iam initializing the roof by holding the button until the roof opens and closes don't have a scanning tool to do it, I have had to do this before after I first got the car 2-1/2 years ago because the ass end wont come up completely just like a quarter inch short and it worked, but not working this time just opens and then does the short close and have to push the tilt to get the roof to close all the way but ass end doesn't go up at all.

06red330i

yes when I do the initialization there is a yellow symbol on the dash

charlson89

So your pushing the vent button from open to close and vent position swipe. If your getting the light then it could be a software issue for the sunroof module. I have had to reprogram that module before to keep this issue from reoccurring.

06red330i

well that's what I'm hoping, if something broke in the carriage assembly its over a grand for the assembly, at that point I would tell the dealer to just get the ass end of the glass up to even with the roof and disconnect the switch I hardly ever open it other than to vent anyway. Have an appointment next Tuesday to take to dealer, Mike miller said to let the "experts" handle the moonroof issues.

06red330i

Spoke with a local independent today and he says he has the tools to try and reprogram the module that controls the roof, will charge me $90, figure its worth the try, dealer will charge a lot more I'm sure to do the same.

06red330i

just dawned on me there is symbol explanations in the vehicle manual and the one I see on the dash when I try to do the initialization say's
    "anti-trapping mechanism of the glass sunroof malfunctioning"

charlson89

Yes the fault will be for anti trapping of the sunroof.

06red330i

so would reprograming fix this ?

charlson89

I can not say for sure with out knowing the programming level of that module. I know in the past that I have had to reprogram the module for this issue. What happens is the software that controls the anti trap limits are not correct which sets the fault for anti trap and causing the sunroof to freak out. After programming the module I initialized the sunroof with the scan tool and the faults did not return.

06red330i

Well my wife took the car to independent today, he tried to reprogram but to no avail, I was hoping if nothing else he could get the back of the glass up to the roof level but he couldn't. From the motor what makes the roof move ? the motor looks like it winds something, if I removed the motor what would happen, would I be able to move the glass by hand and what pushes the back of the glass upward could I move that if motor removed ?
    I know it would be expensive to replace the carriage, do you have any idea how long that takes to do ?

charlson89

After programming of the FZD module did your independent reinitialize the sunroof with his software? To answer your question you can remove the motor but you won't be able to move the sunroof since there are two cable that the motor pulls on to move both sides of the roof in time. The motor does have a alan screw on it to move it manually and move the sunroof. You could attempt to close it manually but if the cassette is damaged than that won't help. Yes the cassette is expensive to replace since the headliner has to come out. Can you push on the glass with your hand and see if it moves this will let you know the cassette probably has some broken parts?

06red330i

Well bent over and took to the dealer, they had to replace the whole assembly, with my club discount the assembly was $921, labor was $825. The independent dude couldn't get it to work either, so that's when I took to dealer. got to drive a new 320I loaner for a week for free. they didn't have the assembly in stock.

charlson89

Well at least it is all fixed and you did get a nice loaner.