Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to BMW CCA and to my 1975 2002

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by HBHNC, Jul 10, 2015.

HBHNC

I have a question concerning tires on a newly purchased1975 2002 with 14" rims.... I noticed that the current tires are 195/65s which appear to be too large as they rub the front wheel well when making a tight turn. Is there a recommended tire size for a (non racing) 14" rim on these cars?

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums!

I'm no 2002 expert, but presumably your options would be a lower profile (ie, lower aspect ratio) or lesser width. However, wheel offset also matters, the rubbing could be wheel-related, if the offset has the wheel too far inboard or outboard in the wheel-well. Spacers can decrease offset, but if the offset is too low, there's no practical way to get the wheels moved more inboard, so then it would have to be different wheels. I suppose caster theoretically could also be an issue, but seems like something would have to be waaay off for some reason with the several suspension locating points.

Useful go-to site for things '02 related: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/

charlson89

Welcome to the club and forums! Does the vehicle have stock rims or aftermarket?

HBHNC

Aftermarket. I believe the stock rims were 13 in.

charlson89

As garrison mentioned you need to check the offset wheel spacers sound like they will help your issue. But I know there isn't much less you can get for a new tires with less aspect ratio either. I think 195/60/14 which will giver you a 5% less tall tire which might helps as well. You could do to a 185/55/14 odd size I know but yokohama does have a S drive in that size. Just a couple suggestions.

johnh

195/60/14 are the same diameter as the stock set up. Wheel offset and backspace are key to whether they will rub in the front, either against the fender lip or, at full lock, the rear portion of the inner front fender.
    Search the web on offset and backspace for more details. Find lots of experts at the bmw2002faq web site.

John
    '74 2002