Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What did you do to/for your BMW today?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by E46BAV90, May 18, 2011.

mysticbmw guest

I scheduled an appointment to have the plugs changed , upgraded bulbs for the projector/ halo headlights and upgraded rear shocks to bilstein tourings, the rears have 72k on them so it's time. Next to come is a nice set
    of upgraded borbets. :cool:

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Drove to the O'Fest & took the little guy to the top of the hill!

Attached Files:

tjkeller

New to the forum here!

Been obsessed with DIY maintenance and upgrades on my 08 335xi e90 since I got it a couple years ago.

I've been hunting down what is either my front diff going out, a bad wheel bearing or...???

Today I put her up on jacks and pulled the entire front underbody off along with the metal brace/tray. Cleaned everything, inspected for leaks, and anything blatantly wrong. I've got an oil leak coming from somewhere. I recently did my oil filter housing gasket, new valve cover & gasket, had new turbos out in about 5k ago and have been totally anal about fluid changes. Tcase, both diffs, AT fluid/sleeve/filter all in last 4k miles.

I was told I had a small leak in my 'bed plate' when my turbos were replaced under the extended warranty. They offered to fix for $6k and I declined as it was way too much and nobody I found online had ever heard of it...no documented bed plate leaks anywhere online for the N54. Now I'm a little panicky as I'm starting to think it may indeed be a bad seal/gasket on the bed plate. Ugh!!!

Found a little play in & out in both half shafts but no leaks....CV boots are nice and rubbery/new looking. I pulled the fill plug and decided to drain the oil.... got a little more than a half a quart out....not good. Filled back full. Noise still there. Pronounced when get up to 40+ mph....let off gas and it gets loudest....throttle and it gets quiet....gas again and it quiets down. Either bearing or worst case my front differential gear is worn??

Sorry....this should be it's own thread. More just saying what I did today. Oh...changed oil and filter. Trying out the Castrol Edge 0W40 this time....usually use Motol, Total or OEM. Immediately noticed quieter idle and overall smoothness. I'm tuned by flash full FBO minus DP's. E40 fuel with Walbro 255 online. Engine runs fantastic....wonder if the extra boost/power is too much for that bed plate gasket?!?

Oh joy!!!

tjkeller

In the last few months I've also:

Installed KW V3 coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, retro'd MTech wheel/paddles (LCI wiring mod), new vacuum lines, swapped sport seats in for my heated non sports, repaired cowl/cabin filter worn screws with tap/anchored expanders, water pump & t-stat, fixed ruptured coolant line over front inner grill, plugs, vanos, oil catch can... more I can't think of.

No matter what I do there is always something. Expensive little love affair. :)

MGarrison

Saw your car in the photo montage @ the Fri. banquet!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Any chance the photos from the Concours might be posted?

frito

Finally got over my fear of doing anything other than oil changes and tire rotation on my '01 325i and performed the Inspection II service on it. I was planning to change the differential and transmission fluids but finding everything I need (differential plug seals, proper transmission fluid, cabin micro-filter, etc.) at the auto part chain stores on a weekend is next to impossible. First lesson learned: plan my service a few weeks in advance and buy everything well in advance.

frito

Last night actually, gave the poor thing a long, long overdue bath. Upon completion I noticed the hood looked like it had been sandblasted. Upon closer inspection this morning, it actually appears to be over spray from when I had it fixed over the winter after meeting up with black ice on a clover leaf. I don't know how I went so long without noticing - and the body shop came highly recommended. Looks like clay bar, compound, polish and wax is in my near future. :(

mysticbmw guest

I picked up my car from the dealer last night and I must say that this particular dealer in Houston has done nothing short of providing me with exceptional service...so my hats off to Momentum BMW in Houston Texas!! :) While my car was there the airbag was changed as well as fresh oil, a window regulator both front sway bar links and the temp sensor code was cleared. As of todays date virtually every major part on my car has been changed or serviced she now sits at 75,000 miles. Also I had the pleasure of driving a stunning 2014 328i :)
    MGarrison likes this.

bransan Master troubleshooter

Bought a new Eagle 9000# 2 post lift to make maintaining My BMW's a whole lot easier, and more enjoyable. I plan on making a jig so I can lift the bike's and lawnmower too.
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

Get a couple of these too, they're handy, &, up the safety factor stabilizing the front & back if you really start having to wrench on something with some force - can keep the car from starting to rock while elevated. Stating the obvious, but you have to make a point of remembering to pull them before lowering! Enjoy the new lift!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200318725_200318725

Ken.S.330

Wow, nice. Here I was all excited because I just got a pair of shiny new Torin 3 ton aluminum jack stands. Maybe I'll show my wife then work into the conversation that I need (ok want) to get a new low profile hydraulic jack. She'll think it's a bargain (hopefully).

Z4Fred

I have replaced the battery (Exide 750CCA) 2yrs ago, Drilled and Slotted rotors with Ceramic brakes, 2 yrs ago.
    DRL Bulbs "angel eyes", Control arm bushings (Powerflex Urethane), Rear Coil Springs (factory), last Month.
    I'm hitting the 70,000 mile mark. Almost forgot, last year I reconditioned my paint chips with Doc Color Chip, looks new again. Hope that's it for awhile. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying top down driving here in Long Island, NY.
    Happy Motoring to all.
    MGarrison likes this.

ramitchell

Got tired of the faded black plastic around the mirror on my e46 convertible so sanded it lightly and painted it 'Oil Rubbed Bronze' - a Rustoleum paint I got at Lowes. Also, did a clay bar and wax.
    e46_mirror_before_small.png
    E46_mirror_after_small.jpg
    Ken.S.330 and MGarrison like this.

Cherney Bumer

Tried to change the oil, it started shifting on the jack so I'm like noooope I need low profile ramps.

MGarrison

Ack! Yep - never, ever, get under a car that's only on a jack. Use wheel chocks too, don't rely on just the parking brake.

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-67-inch-race-ramps.aspx

Or, at least a decent floor jack and 2 or 4 jack stands. The Harbor Freight aluminum race jacks are light enough and work fine, but have had to consider them disposable; usually get 3-4 yrs out of one before it leaks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62247.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands.html

Cherney Bumer

I had wheel chocks under it and they were tough to get out since the weight shifted back on them... I was trying to get the car high enough to get it on the jack stands but the jack started to slip off the front center jacking point. Going for try #2 today, this time with a better jack haha

MGarrison

I typically jack up a front side, place jack stand, & go do the other side - both ways work, takes more time to make sure the jack is in the right spot jacking the front center, but once up obviously you can place both front jack stands at once; obviously having the front up balanced on just the jack is somewhat precarious 'til down on the jack stands. One side at a time, jack placement is easier to see, but there's the additional jacking & placement time. Kudos on d-i-y oc/f, good luck & be careful! :)

ramitchell

New leather cover on the center console armrest. Looks a lot better! :)

MGarrison

"Today"..... that'll have to be a 'relative' today - removed engine from the E30 to pursue ugly engine noise, (was hoping for an ez fix, nope, broken piston skirt), quickly scrapped plan to tow E30 to O'Fest and E92 became plan B, installed stainless brake lines (the inner-rears were a real pita!!!) & race pads, flushed/changed brake fluid to Motul 660, changed oil & got new battery in the E92, drove to O'fest in Ca. & back, changed oil again after 5k+ round-trip, spent better part of a day attempting to clean off bug splatter, cleaned the racing-brake-pad-dust-coated wheels (nobody would have guessed those wheels are actually silver!), swapped back the stock brake pads, and eventually headed out to 1900+ mi. round-trip to northern Minnesota & back.