Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Help needed on Satellite radio info

Discussion in 'BMW' started by wszypszak, Jun 17, 2015.

wszypszak

I am thinking of buying a 2015 328i with Driver Assist package but no Navigation. My question is "can the standard radio receive SiriusXM broadcasts? Yes, I am a current subscriber. I know my 2008 Mercedes C class had this capability. I know, for shame on me, but I have owned a few BMW's to redeem me.

charlson89

It depends on if the vehicle has sat radio prep option. Do you have your vin I just need the last seven to see if you have this option. If you do then all have to do is have the vehicle programmed and sat will work.

wszypszak

Have not bought yet. Trying to buy as well equipped as I can afford. Really want back up camera and satellite radio, anything else is price dependent. Am looking at 2014 models, hence my question. I believe 2015 models are satellite capable according to current Roundel. Sorry for the delayed reply, got caught up in a close friends illness. I appreciate the help and do not want to appear to be rude or ungrateful.

MGarrison

Tried a search on the BMWUSA site for all pre-owned 2014 3-series, chose sedans for a body style, any distance, with driver's assistance, came up with 206 vehicles nationwide - since the options don't include satellite radio, looks like you might have to resort vin-checking to see if anything you're interested in has satellite radio prep. Cars that do have satellite radio should have a shark fin antenna on the rood, although whoever's advertising the cars may not have pictures that show that. Presumably, if they are satellite capable but didn't have it at the get-go, I'm guessing it takes the antenna install and some sort of setup to enable it. I'd say start as small as possible, search specifying your preferences as much as possible & see what comes up, and confirm actual prep/options with a VIN search - 200+ checks just from searching BMW's site would be a LOT of VIN searches, so better to winnow the choices as a starting point. If first choices don't pan out, then start broadening selection parameters. Of course, there are any variety of other car search websites too.

This VIN searcher is free, but will lock you out for a day if you do too many searches too quickly.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

wszypszak

Thank you for your courtesy. I plan to buy CPO or from a local outfit Autolenders. Both offer a degree of security and comfort concerning used car purchases. I believe they could offer me this information now that I know it is available. The BMW dealers offer really nice very low mileage loaners ("executive demonstration vehicles")with the multi-year extended warrantee which is very attractive. Of course I will do a vin check myself now that I know how. So much to learn, so little time.

surfwooder

You're in luck looking for a 328i. That model is fully documented by Bentley, Chiltons, and Hayes manuals. I bought a 2009 Z4, and found very sparse documentation on that model. I did a Vin check after the car was delivered, and found it is prepared for Sirius Satellite Radio, but have still not found where the radio should be mounted in the trunk of the car. Keep in mind, you may have to replace the radio head unit too, depends on how the radio model you have. BMW did not make it easy to upgrade. You may want to take it to the dealer for checking for the upgrade. I took the Z4 and found I needed to mount a Sat radio to get them to update the cars computer. Just to update your computer the dealer will charge about $450. You'll get the Sat upgrade, any other updates that have come along from BMW, a 3 month subscription with Sirius XM. Good luck.